how much rain, to call it a day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Oct 21, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

what's your limit? especially with leaves involved. wipers on the truck are on? puddles?

2. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Dempends if it is residential vs commerical.

Also depends if you are behind, just crusing along, or behind.

If commerical and your behind; let it rain, let it rain.

High end residential, wait until it stops for 1-2 hours and depends on clients as well.

So basically it depends.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As far as I'm concerned if the roads are WET, no work. Guess you could say puddles but if parts of the road are dry then it's 50-50, depends how HARD it rained vs. how long ago, etc, etc...

It's only supposed to drizzle a bit here today and I was GOING to work but it came down pretty hard and everything is wet, so...

But like the other guy said, it also depends how far behind I am... I'm about a week backed up on the grass-cutting but at the same rate it's NOT growing THAT fast this time of year so it's not that big a deal, either. There will be a few yards come next week will be a b!7ch to deal with and take a bit longer with the clumps but I can still get 5 acre lots of just THAT kind of crap knocked out in a day, 6-8 of the smaller variety, so I'm not really that worried... I'll have Core Aeration done end of Tuesday, by Friday I should be ALL caught up grass-cutting and come the over-next Monday it's end of month and the leaves SHOULD be falling good and heavy by then.

4. fga

same thing here. wasn't supposed to "drizzle" until this afternoon. but got rained on pretty good.
    the thing for me is, and i use this as a determining factor, is if it takes me considerably longer to do them, and its not as profitable. my machines cut pretty good in the rain, but working with residentials, blowing sidewalks with clippings, and debris.. when wet takes forever.
    i'm also trying to finish de-thatching. i got so behind from the 8 1/2 days straight of rain. i started one this morning, and it got really muddy, so i attempted to just do the "cut onlys", and the rain got worse.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Adam, what's happening in NY? Long time,bud. Around here, it's how steep of an incline can you mow when wet. Everything else is a gimme until it gets really saturated. I've got one left from yesterday, a commercial church that needs mowed by Sat. morning. The front 1 1/3 acres of property is all hillside, the remaining 2 acres is pretty flat. Trying to decide if we try and get it today , or go and hydroseed three accounts b/w rain storms. We've waited all summer for rain, and now that it's here, I don't want it...lol:realmad:

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

There's a old joke that says.You draw a big circle around yourself and if 5 raindrops in 5 minutes fall into that circle around you.you can go home!

7. fga

what's up Bill? no playstation today?:) i hear ya about not wanting rain. feast or famine my friend.

you don't bag do you? something that size? we bag pretty much everything, so i wind up green hands for a week... who am i kidding, i hardly mowed at all this year with my new helpers.:angel: i get the wet grass weed whacker leg.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Adam-I don't bag unless it's a new lawn or specifically requested. The church is primarily mulched with open discharge on the front hill. The best thing to do about the WGWW leg, is let it dry and brush it off. My wife was throwing socks away left and right this spring... I was like, "where's my work socks?"..her reply..."Try Target"....lol.Can't do much else today, so we're taking our daughter to the pumpkin farm in a little while.

9. topsites

Worst thing for me is, once the drivebelts get wet the machine is about a worthless P O S, dead in the water you could say. That's what f*x with me the most, once the mower doesn't want to MOVE I about can't take it anymore, 300 pounds of dead weight really puts a damper on my go-do-it'ness.

I picked today to get the car inspected, it's 3 months overdue so this is a fine time to do this, few other things to get taken care of cauz as soon as the rain lets up it's back to 100% again.

10. topsites

For me if it comes right down to it, grass-cutting takes the ultimate priority when push comes to shove in the final what-gets-done and what-does-not contest thou I got a few days left on this, there's also some reserve on how much I can do in a day, can still turn things up one more notch, hate to work ballz-to-the-wall but that would be the next step, starting with leaving the house at 9am instead of 10 :)