How much rainfall is just right for you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Merkava_4, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious of what you guys will say. How about one day a week with a fairly heavy downpour?

Or how about a light rain twice a day? What would you guys say is the ideal rainfall for you? :D

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Right now I would say ANY rainfall is right for me:laugh: I would be happy if it rained ever night. Not flooding rains where my lawns get soggy. Afternoon thunderstorms would be fine during the week. But we got nothing. Not much rain in August and September. Maybe 1/2 inch total. No rain and intense heat did the yard business in. I could get by with heavy rains every 2 weeks max. Grass starts to go dormant with no rain after 3 weeks

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Our soil dries out so fast here that I don't think any amount of rain is enough. You could have a 4" rainfall one day and the next day there's already dust. When this soil dries out it turns to powder. It is absolultely awful for anything but Bahia.

4. MLAWCARE

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

One good thunderstorm a week I think would be nice and if it rained lightly twice a day it would be bad for the lawns it would cause the grass to have more surface roots than deep roots.

5. Knightcasper

Knightcasper LawnSite Member

We just had 10.4 inches between Wednesday and Thursday, and another inch forecast for today. That is a little excessive. Not sure when to get the crews back out. Its one big sloppy mess out there.

6. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

We haven't had ANY decent rain since last spring, the driest summer on record here!

So ANY rain would be good at this point!

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

any rain is good rain HOWEVER, I wish it would rain every Sunday say start out around midnight and stop somewhere around 4 in the afternoon. YOu asked. I told you.

8. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

I can't even imagine what it's like for you guys a little south... we got 2-3" here in my part of the metro. We got back out yesterday and will finish with a half day today. We got more than we needed, but I feel lucky when seeing what came down less than 50 miles away.

9. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

In my perfect world, an inch or so a week would be nice. In my perfect world it would rain at night and the sun would shine all day. Must have been a deam, time to wake up and face reality. We had a wet spring. We have a very dry summer. Most things around here are pretty much done for the year. I have some I haven't cut in 4 weeks. Just growing in spots. I know they look like crap and if I mow them they will still look like crap just mowed. It will take several weeks for things to green up but, by the time that rolls around.. the rain will be in the form of ice and snow

10. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a good answer!! :D