How much referral work do you get?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nathan, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Just curious what the ratio of customers to referrals you guys see. I was trying to do a tally and it seems like I get about 1 for every 2 customers each year(on average, some give lots some give none). This pleases me but I wanted to see if it seems high low or average.

2. zimm4

zimm4 LawnSite Member

The best thing to do is to make cheerleaders out of your clients. They will tell all there friends.

3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Never did the math to get a ratio, but my first 8 years I had maybe a total of 10 referals. Then I hit the gold mine. Single woman, professional, very nice and very involved in her new sfh development. She singlehandedly gave me a dozen referrals in the same neighborhood and they are still coming. I guess you just get lucky sometimes, and you better believe I send her a fruit basket for Xmas too.

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

That's about the only way I take new clients. They already know my work!

5. I get referrals from two sources, one is customers, the other is from my mom and sisters retail greenhouse and landscaping business. People call my sister all the time asking her about doing lawn maintenance, she kindly tells them that she does not do that work but here give my brother a call he does lawn maintenance. I've gotten several customers that she has referred my way.

6. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

About 25% of my business comes from referrals...Derrick

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

At least half comes from referral.
    Since I target the elderly they tend to
    tell others about me.Which is great as they
    can be very weary of strangers,and should be.