Lawn Care Forum banner

How much seed does you everyone use for overseeding

12K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  BeautifulBlooms 
#1 ·
How much seed does everyone use for over seeding
keep in mind this is overseeding and aeration
how much seed would you guys use for overseeding a 5,000 sq' turf area?
50lbs.....10lbs per 1,000 sq '

#6 ·
Turfdude
3#/1000 if lawn is pretty thick, 5#/1000 if more sparse, 8#/1000 bare soil

Thats w/ Lesco Team Mates or Team Mates plus tall fescue mix

Thats the general input I've been getting from local lco's
thanks for the replies ....

#7 ·
About 5-6 # per 1000 I use Rebel 4 tall turf typu fescue with starter fert.

#9 ·
I would aerate ,you can just over seed but aerating is definetly going to give you a better results.

#10 ·
I put down 50lbs of Lesco trans. blend today over 1/3 acre and covered nice and thick along w/ 50lbs Lesco starter fert and a 3 bales of straw for the bare spots.

#11 ·
you need good seed to soil contact and daily watering to get the seed to germinate. just overseeding reduces the seed to soil contact and reduces the gerination rate . seed is not cheap so at least rake the bare areas to be seeded to increase germination.

#12 ·
Dumb question, but can you overseed without aerating? Or is it pointless?
This is not a dumb question because at least you asked. Overseeding by just throwing seed does accomplish something. You get happy birds. :laugh:

If you have small areas then the soil should be worked up and seeded. Aeration pulls cores and the breakdown of cores will give you a little better germination rate. Another option is to bring in some rich black dirt or cooked compost and seed in this new material. This has given me the best results but it is much more labor intensive and really impractical on large areas.

#14 ·
I use this as a good gage

Current turf coverage
25-50% 4 lbs/1000 of bluegrass ryegrass mix,
50-75% 2lbs/1000
75-100% 1 lb/1000

Why would you ever put more than is recommended for a new seeding? Just to mark up your price to the customer, just give them what they need, not what you want to sell.

#15 ·
I do 10lbs per 100 sq ft. I Have had good results doing it this way.

#16 ·
I do 10lbs per 100 sq ft. I Have had good results doing it this way.

#17 ·
I hope that is meant to be 1000 sq.ft, but event hat seems really high

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.