How much seed needed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JeffD, Jul 30, 2004.

1. JeffD

JeffD LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have about 1 acre of land that I need to put down some grass seed. How much seed will it take to do about 1 square acre?

Thanks

Jeff

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You would need approximately 3-5 pounds per 1000 square feet. I usually go with the 5 pounds. So for an acre, about 220 lbs.

43,560 (acre) divided by 1000 equals 43.56 X 5 lbs. equals 217.8 (220)

3. JeffD

JeffD LawnSite Member
    from MN

Thanks Randy.

Jeff

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

The 3 to 5 lbs is not set in stone. A lot is going to depend on what seed type you are using and what you want the final results to be. For seeds such as bluegrass the 3 to 5 lbs would be about right but for a quality lawn if you are using fescue you might want to increase the seed rate up to 6 to 8 lbs. For fields that you just want grass on then you can drop your rate back to the 3 to 5 lbs for fescue. Good results have been shown with as little as 25lb per acre if the soil has been properly prepped and the necessary nutrients added and with proper irrigation. Another thing to consider is the Pure Live Seed contained in the bag. A 50 lb bag of seed with a germination rate of 85% will only give you 42lbs of seed. Factor in the weed seed and other trash contained in the bag and your 50lb bag could end up with only about 40lbs of PLS. Thats a 20% reduction in the actuall amount of PLS that is being planted and you will have to increase the amount you use just to get the rate you want. I use about 300lbs per acre with fescue but my seed usually only has a germination rate of 85% which means I can only reasonably expect about 255lbs of the seed to actually germinate. This puts my seed rate back down to just under 6lbs per 1000. This will give you a pretty good quality lawn.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what kind of seed? is it completely bare? a reasonable rate for OVERSEEDING bluegrass is 3 lbs per k. 5 if seeding bare ground. fescue 5-7 lbs to OVERSEED, i'd go 10 per k if seeding bare ground.

6. JeffD

JeffD LawnSite Member
    from MN

The ground is bare. The land was over grown with scrap trees, and I've cleaned it up quite a bit, leaving mature trees, and some small ones for the future. The soil is solid black dirt. The biggest problem I have is no way to water it. I still have a bunch of work to do, and plan on seeding in the fall.

Thanks for the help.

7. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Your seed blend is going to have a big impact on the amount to use. Probably if you are using pure Blue Grass which might not be the best option, you will likely want to go with a 4 pound per thousand rate. If you go with something like a contractor blend which is probably pretty common there and would have a high percentage of Rye along with some Fescue and Blue then you are going to want to go somewhere between 8 and 10 pounds per 1000 on bare ground.

What they actually look at in figuring these rates is Seed per Sq Inch and rye is a larger seed so there are fewer seeds per pound. Blue Grass is a smaller seed so there are more seeds per pound.

I would say that about any seed blend you are going to use execpt pure blue grass go with 8-10 pounds per 1000 and with pure blue grass go 4 pounds per 1000 on bare ground.