1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much should i charge before i under bid again

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ransomes, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

this is the outside of the nightclub where i work at on the weekends, i know if i ask the owner if i can trim these bushes he will allow me to but waht would be a fair price ? and also ive never trim a tree or anything but it looks so simple is there anything i should know before i get myself in trouble.....what would you guys charge for this trimming job
  2. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

sorry here are the pics

3. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

Use the bricks behind the hedge as a measuring stick, pick a line and cut the hedge to that line and the top should look straight. Trim a little at a time, you can't glue it back once you've cut it. Do a good cleanup, most leaves turn bright brown or orange and look really ugly if left in the bed.
    As far as a charge, your on your own, I'd say give him an hourly rate.
  4. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

Thanks , im guessing it would take me an hour but like the jungle i just cut for a 100 dollars i dont want to under bid .... i was thinkin 60 bucks is that too much or too little?
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No offense but so long that you're doing the asking, you are more likely to find yourself grabbing the short end of the stick.
    Once you turn this situation around to where it is the customers who ask, you will have an easier time hitting the nail on the head.
    Because by you doing the asking, you are giving them the upper hand by placing yourself under them in the hierarchy (meaning you are not top dog but they are)... Another way to say it is, you are begging for them to take advantage of you.
  6. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I would get about $90.00 to 110.00 where I'm located. Take about an hour or thereabout..
  7. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

from the look of the pic ,,,would prob take you couple hrs ,,,,im sure you will have to haul all the clean up after you done so i would charge around 100 to 150 buck Just to be on safe side,.,,,,dont look much but little job like this will take you few hrs,.,,good luck!!
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

In my area you would be expected to do that for around 25 bucks or less:laugh: I would not touch it for less than 90, would bid around 110 to be on the safe side. I dont care if never trim another shrub but if I do its going to be worthwhile or I aint touching it! Dont cut yourself short, shrubs are hard work.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Boy did you say it. I always try to hint but never ask to do a job. Make it think that it was their idea and you can make what it is worth. If it is your idea you aren't going to make crap.
  10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, do not forget. The trimming may not take that long, but you need to factor in the cleaning up and the hauling away. I always add an hour when having to go to the landfil.