How much should I charge for a 5 acre lot?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Slugger, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Slugger

Slugger LawnSite Member

It doesn't have any trees or fences to deal with. Two persons working on it.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and what your cost are, figure out what it cost you to run yuor business per hour, plus your needed profit, and how long it will take you... only you know your cost of business

i would charge around 150.00
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Dave, can I ask what size deck you would use? Or if more than one mower, how many total inches of deck width?

BTW, what instrument do you play in your band or are you a lead singer?
  4. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

We typically charge $30/acre. Sometimes we bargain a little and drop the price to around $27/acre. Go with your gut.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Do you also know your true cost to mow that acre?
  6. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

MMLawn's point (I think) is that once you pay for your costs you are not taking home much at $30/acre.
  7. daveintoledo

im solo, so im not the best to ask, i have a toro z with 48 inch deck.... the biggest i do now is a 3.5 acre and that takes me about 1.75 hours or so.... and i only have to trim there 2 times a month...

that would leave me around 3 hours to cut coming to around 50 per hour.... a little low

this is one of the reason i dont do alot of large properties, its much more profitable for me to do 8, 30 dollar yards in the same time....

but if you have helpers or a crew your time , and profit could be better, but not for me... alot has to depend on the area, very depressed econimics here, very hard to get more the 40 per acre here, and for bigger properties no one want to pay much...

there are some bigger companys and more experienced guys here who could give you better advice im sure...
  8. daveintoledo

i play bass in two bands, we all sing about 20 songs each plus harmonies, our guitar player is a music teacher at university of toledo, drums in a different band, and i also play guitar and keys (10 years of piano lessons payed off hahha):)
  9. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

on my 48''WB with my sulky, per actor $45. if it has acouple of trees, i'll try for 55! EVERY WEEK! commercially speaking.
  10. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Around here no less than $80 per acre. Less than that it can go to the lowballers for all I care.