1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much Should I charge for this Job...I have to put bid in tommarow...$1200?or what

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by N2Nlandscaping, Jul 15, 2007.

1. N2Nlandscaping

N2Nlandscaping LawnSite Member

I have Attached pictures...The customer wants the rocks moved out of both ditches and all that green weed looking stuff that has grown up in the valley...removed...and then he wants the big rocks in two straight lines going down the outside of the valley so that he can pour small rocks in the middle...how much should i charge for this job...I think im going to get help to do it...so we will split it down the middle...reason for getting help is because there is so much rock to move...please help me i have to bid on this tommarow morning...is $1200 to much or not enough....please give prices you would charge for this job....

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well first off, this doesn't belong in this forum.

But anyways, I'm laughing at your 1200 buck figure.

I haven't even taken any time to figure how long that might take me, plus the cost of "large" boulders, and the equipment needed to place them properly, and all the labor you're going to have in this if you don't have a piece of equipment to dig the old stuff up, but I'm thinking you're going to lose your rear at that price...

I CAN say, without any experience doing something like that, that:

A) if you're just "throwing out a number" which it's obvious you are, then you have no business even giving a quote for work like this.

B)I'd be AT LEAST 3 times the cost of what you're charging and that's just a guesstimate without me even knowing what the replacement materials would cost.
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

if you can get 1200 then go get it i would bid around 850 i figure 3 guys could bust it out in one ten hour day so lets figure 300 in labor plus 50 bucks for lunch and broken tools and what not so at 850 you would still make 500 bucks in one day not bad. again if you can get 1200 get it i have just seen when you go over 1000 it can scare homeowners when its just labor. DO NOT NO NO NO NO split it down the middle go find a couple buds that will work for 10 dollars a hour cash and you make the cash this is YOUR JOB put the cash in YOUR POCKET you will never make money if you do all your work that way. let us know how it goes
  4. P.Services

hey five o boy he said the homeowner was doing the rest of the job so their are no materials to buy. i could do that job buy myself in two days with out a doubt. so you would bid 3600 for that job? you would Never get it around hear
  5. fiveoboy01

First off, if you go back and READ the post, he said the homeowner is going to put the smaller rock down the middle. Which means the original poster is being asked to put large(don't know how large, but I'm assuming too big to handle by hand) rocks in two rows.

So there are materials to buy. I have no idea how much enough large rocks to do that would cost.

I really don't care if I wouldn't get it. Work like that sucks, and I would get paid good to do it, or I wouldn't do it at all.

Figure 3600, if it takes 3 guys a full 10 hour day to do that, that's 120/man hour. This is BEFORE materials. I could see having a fair amount of $ in large rocks for that. Plus equipment rental. As far as I'm concerned, my figure isn't outlandish at all.
  6. P.Services

no son you go back and read again it says he wants the big rocks put in a line meaning the big rock thats all ready on the site. i to would not want to do that job but i think this kid is going to do it all by hand so no machine rental to factor in. like i say i would not like to do it but i would for a quick 600 bucks in one day
  7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

The rock's already there, or at least from how I read it. Kill all the areas first before you do anything at all. That way you aren't trying to work around your newly moved landscaping. Then dig the small trench for the big rocks to lay in & start popping them out w/ a spade. It shouldn't take more than a day depending on how far away you are moving the rock from where you are now. I'd also consider talking him out of small rock. There's a reason the rock that's there has moved.
  8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I second the not splitting down the middle. I have a friend that is always asking to help me for half the money. I tell him to go buy a truck, trailer, all the nessecery equipment, insurance, gas, office supplies, ect.and then see if he wants to split his profit down the middle with someone
  9. fiveoboy01

Yeah, I mis-read the post. How stupid of me.

In the case of not needing any new materials, then I wouldn't charge as much as I originally stated.

I still would not touch it for anything less than 2K.
  10. N2Nlandscaping

N2Nlandscaping LawnSite Member

ok fellas thankyou for all your input...and the guy that is going to help is a cusin of mine and he actually has his own business as well....so i told him half and half...as long as he does as much work as i do...and we use some of his tools as well....this is just one of the jobs on this site....there is over 10,000 dollars of work to do at this home and thats a very rough estimate....I'am NEW AT THIS...but im not stupid...im good with numbers....meaning i know if its going to take 10 to 12 hours with 2 guys...then i need to figure what i wanna make an Hour...i Just wanted some input on what others would do so I don't scare this guy off....but at the same time...this type of guy would take it as a insult if I thought he couln't afford my Labor....He is a CEO of his own Medical Company. So Final Verdict What should i put in for the bid...