1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much should I charge for tractor work

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Mow"N"Bud, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

Hello all. I have a John Deere 755 tractor with a front-end loader, bush-hog/rotary cutter, scrapper blade, and a landscape rake. I'm wondering what is a fair price to bill the tractor out at.

Bush-hogging/rotary cutter per acre
    scraping gravel drive-ways per 100 feet
    leveling/scraping lawns per 1/4 acre or hour
    Moving dirt, gravel etc per hour

Any help you can give will be appreciated.
  2. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

50-60 is what i get around here / 200 min
  3. MLT

MLT LawnSite Member

I have a 250 dollar mon. and 75 dollars a hour after my 3 hour min. and Stay very busy.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Bid by the job not the hr. you will make a lot more $$$$ that way. After you know how long it takes to do a job
  5. There's a wide swing in pricing across the country. I've seen some prices quoted on here in the past that wouldn't get you much work here in the middle of Kentucky. We stay busy and make decent money at $45 per hour with smaller tractors (45HP range) and as much as $75 for 60 HP doing bush hogging and light grading. (Seeding and/or spraying with the tractors is a different rate.)

I've stayed with older tractors, as they don't drive my overhead up. If I was to buy new, prices would most likely not be competitive in this area.
  6. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

.......and the man is right! I learned the hard way.:)
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I agree.

I also disagree on the min.

I have several Bushog jobs that I do regularly for 100 bucks.

They take about 1/2 hour machine time.

Tractors are very efficient and easy too haul.

I have no problem with a guy calling me too scrape his driveway and it taking 10 minutes and getting paid 50 bucks.

It is all about making a days pay.

You have too be flexible and sensible.

You cannot drive 50 miles out of your way for a 100 dollar cut.

I average about 65 an hour but never quote hours.

If the job will take 4 hours than it will be at least 260 and probally more.

Remeber in an 8 hour day you will usually have way less machine time so per hour will be at your disadvantage.
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You have to have a minimum, otherwise you endup driving all over town doing small jobs and not making money. At the same time you also have your regular customers that you can service on a schedule and sometimes the minimum can be wavied. For your regulars you will pretty soon learn how long it will take you do their work and set a per job price, but for the new customers, set a minimum and price the job by the hour. Also dont be afraid to charge for mileage, you spend time, and money, getting to the jobs, you should be paid for it.
  9. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

When you guys talk about 40 or 50 an hour, are you talking just for the tractor plus you charge for yourself or does the 40-50 cover everything?
  10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We charge $65. per hour, 4 hour minimum, for a B3030 HSDC. That rate is for loader work,grading and york raking. Core aeration and brush hogging is more profitable to charge by the job. PTO spreading and boom spraying are based on square footage and product. Snowblowing is a specialty service, we use a $4500. kubota B2782, 60", 2 stage, front pto unit with hydraulic chute control. This service is $80. per hour.