1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much should i charge / hr with the equipment I a have

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Nov 12, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

11HP GIANT VAC BLOWER, BP BLOWER, RAKES, truck loader and a dump trailer. A leaf cleanup took us 3.5 hours without the going to the dump today. How much do i charge? There were two of us working. I will be doing quite a few of these two man jobs this year. I usually work alone, so i could use some help pricing. What would you charge to dump the leaves? I do not get charged myself, but the dump trailer has got to be paid off some how. Thanks
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are doing landscaping work, you should have a set hourly rate that is needed to cover all costs and make a profit. This is a good base to start with. Then you can add on a certain amount to cover equipment costs. Equipment costs should be enough to cover the cost of any machine and some to save for replaacement and maintenance.

If you do not have these costs in mind, you may not be making as much money as you could be.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you really need to figure out your costs, and then figure out the profit that you want to make. My suggestion to you is go talk with an accountant
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

$60.00/hr -3.5 hours = $210.00 for just the labor, then all the vac work, im guess you have a truck and load into the dump trailer so I would figure out how much it would cost you per yard to dump charge that accordingly plus figure out gas. I would figure around another $100 for the vac work.

5. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

c'mon guys someone can give me a ballpark number. I just did a cleanup today with the same 2 man crew and it took us 5.5 hrs. I usually charge 60/hr for myself, so how much for the additional man. What is a fair price for such a cleanup? I had my big blower working for almost the full 5.5 hrs, the homeowner helped my guy tarp leaves.
  6. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

its not rocket science.

use this for each piece of equipment you use including truck and trailer, figure 50 to 60 miles per engine operating hour for a comparision to vehicle and trailer life:

cost divided by the hours (it will last) = equipment price per hour

then figure labor per hour plus dump or percentage of dump charge including gas and windshield time.

that is what you should charge.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

$100 an hr for the owner $50 for employees an hr. + $75 an hr for equipment = $787.50 rd. #
  8. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $40 man hr + dump fee, so my price would be

7 man hr X $40= $280
    1 man hr (dump)=$40
    Dump Fee ?= $20

$340.00 thats what i would charge, good luck
  9. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

im thinking around 100 bucks an hour for that set up so 350
  10. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

With your setup I would go with around $60/man hour plus haulaway. If you pay the employee $15/hour you are making $105/hour minus your expenses/hour. I start charging from when I leave my house.