How much should I charge to sub out the irrigation system?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Let it Grow, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm working on a landscape design/install. I currently do not do irrigation work myself. I sub it out to another business that only does irrigation. How much extra should I add on top of the sub contractors irrigation bid before I submit it to the customer?

2. monkey9197

monkey9197 LawnSite Member
    from NY

yea i was wondering the same type of thing whn u sub contract how much do u make off it

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

We haven't done much subbing out of work, but generally the markup is in the 10% range around here.

It's not a 10% profit though, if you do it right. At least at first. Even after you get to know the sub well and everything works well, you may only be looking at 8% or so. You have time involved with them, and it is up to you, as the "prime" contractor, to make sure everything is installed the right way...

Dan

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That is what i have done in the past is add 10%, I still go to the work site when the sub is there because if something is wrong Im gonna be the one the homeowner is going to complain to