how much should i give my family?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 10, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i run my mowing operation solo but out of the blue i stumbled upon a very big mulch job. i've ran my numbers and came up with a price of $3055. this includes 1236 for mulch and 1819 for labor. my question is, my brother and 2 nephews agreed to help me out on this one time job. how much should i pay them? i've estimated it will take atleast 10-12 hours to complete the job. all responses are appreciated.

randy.

2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the prevailing labor rate in your area? It doesn't matter who is doing the work, it's all business from my stand point.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Since you are making almost $40/hr on the job and they are family/friends.........$10/hr. Then if they really work out give them a bonus.

4. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

no matter what with my family there never happy family and friends suck most of the time.

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

thanks. i was thinking about giving them $150 for the day. is that too much or not enough? i was really in a bind and they are agreeing to help me out. i dont wanna seem like some penny pincher.

6. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

pretty much what i was thinking, $ 10.00 an hour, supply the ice water for the workers and take them out to eat afterwards. up north i used to have a condo complex and it needed 20 yards of mulch..rounded up the guys, they busted butt, got the job done and took them out to eat..they were thrilled! every year after, i would notice who did the better job and gave a little more.

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

30 man hours into 1800 is $60 per man hour if he pays them 15 per hour he will be profiting his 60 per man hour for himself, plus making 45 on each of their labor for a total profit for the day 1500 not bad my question is how much mulch are you spreading?

8. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

48 man hours, you didn't include him...:dancing:

9. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

If you can pay them $150 EACH and make a little bit of money I think that's fair. It's a one time gig. Keep everybody happy and you'll be good.

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Question: You didn't mention how many YARDS of mulch you are putting down! How many is $1236 in your area. In my area that is about 60 yards. If you are getting 60 down in one day with 4 guys in 48 hours, then your are getting REALLY GOOD production. I'd say TOO GOOD, that you probably will run more hours for that amount unless it is a REAL EASY job!

IF you don't do alot of this work you might want to re-think your numbers & production as production will definitely be falling off the last 2 or 3 hours in a 12 hour day!!!

M