How much should I pay my helper???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Ken, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Ken

Ken LawnSite Member

This last storm in Kansas City I hired a helper to assist me in getting all my driveways done. All he did was operate my snowblower and I drove him around in my truck to each driveway. I plowed with my tractor and he did the sidewalks.

The snowblower is a very heavy full size model and the person that assisted me is already fulltime employed. This was just extra money for him. I paid him $15 an hour and was curious if that is on the high or low side of the norm.

Thanks, Ken.

2. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

Seems a little steep to me. Is this under the table? He is using your equipment, he is just an employee with nothing invested in the company. If it was me, I would try to find some neighborhood kid that would snowblow all day for 6 bucks an hour and love every minute of it.

It's all about money!

3. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

12$ an hour for my sidewalk crew

4. search under salary and helper.

5. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

My average pay for summer help is $9.00-10.00/hr. My feeling
    is that you need to create an incentive for this worker to
    be on call 24/7 (especially when he is getting called out at
    3:00a.m.) Extra $5.00/hr seems like a small price to pay if they are dependable.

Just my 2 cents!

6. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

Our hourly employees receive $12/hr for snow removal, whether they're shoveling, snow-blowing, operating an atv, or spreading salt. Temporary help, also receives 12/hr. Salaried employees get screwed except at nights and weekends when we receive somewhere around 10-12 an hour on top of our reg. paycheck.

7. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

If he's good, probably worth it. If you want him to keep helping a good wage will keep him coming back.

8. Plowboy

Plowboy LawnSite Member

speaking as someone who got into snow removal by running somone elses snow blower, i was paid 10 an hour flat rate. I feel like your rate is definitly fair to you andd your employee, since he is most likely working because he wants extra money you have to pay him enough so he doesn't get sick of being out at all hours in inclement weather. after 50 plus hours in one storm using a blower, garden tractor with blade and leading the side walk crew, I decided it was to to pack it in and go to work for my self for 65-150 dollers an hour for my truck and v-plow instead of working fo someone else. so In short you sould like the kind of person I wished I had been working for. I pay shovelers that help me 15 an hour just to run an 18 insh scoop shovel and push a small salt spreader.

9. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Ken,
    One guy I plow for starts shovelers at $18.00 in Overland Park, Ks. Your rate is not out of line.

Consider:

What time you start, how long you work, temp etc.

When snow has been in Overland Park, the temp can get pretty cold as it has in the past.

If you want to plow some lots send me an email, I'll see what I can do for you?

Rick

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I'm lazy or soft or both, but I wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than $15/hr to do walks. Crappy weather, rotten time of the day, etc. And keeping a good employee. Not out of line for our area, especially with our unemployment rate.