How much should you pay for a 36" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Happy Gardner, Jan 3, 2004.

1. The Happy Gardner

The Happy Gardner LawnSite Member

Here's my problem.
    we only have 2 dealers in my area( with in 30 miles )
    First - Toro and Hustler
    Second - JD

Both sell comparable machines. Both push Hydro with floating decks. Both around $5,000. They offer fixed deck, belt drives at around $4,000. Until I started visiting this sight thats all I knew and was ready to buy. Now I am questioning.
    This will be my first large mower and though I would like a larger mower I need to get through 36" gates.:mad:

2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I don’t think Hustler even makes a 36’’ there website advertises 37, 48 or 54" Side Discharge Decks. The price seems a little on the high side to me for a 36’’ but then again I have not priced them in a while. I do know I could have bought a last year’s model Scag 36’’ belt for $1500.00 I might have missed a good deal. :eek: :eek:
    Good luck

Jeff

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I paid $4,000 for a Toro Hydro 36" floater w/ the T-bar. Same thing with a fixed deck/belt would have run about $2800.

4. The Happy Gardner

Anyone tryed the Better Outdoor Product's 36" hydro????

I here their around $2,000 !!!!!

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You get what you pay for...

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Now is the time to start searching ebay and the classifieds. Start out with what you can afford, but if you tie all your funds up in a brand new mower you better brace yourself. Even new mowers occasionally have flaws, and if you run into a problem where you loose the use of that machine for 2 or 3 weeks what are you going to do? I started my business back up last year with a great used Bunton 48" belt drive, and it still runs perfect. Best part is that I found it on ebay and only paid $1200 for it. Next piece of acvice is to stick with a mower that you can easily get parts for and serviced. You said you have a Toro dealer and a Hustler dealer in your area, then stick with one of those 2 brands. Also check to see where your closest Lesco dealer is. They have a nice little 36" that is very reliable. You'll probably end up paying about $2400 for theirs. If you do enough footwork you'll know when you run across a good deal.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Time to find other dealers. Those belt drive prices are WAY to high.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Drive the Hustler. That should make your decision. The hustler walkbeihnd controls are the easiest to learn and opperate.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a question having cut lawns for 15 years IV used 48-inch belts and 52-inch hydros and as of the last 4 years I personally use my 60-inch lazer now the lazer has a floating deck and I completely agree with that. But why the hell would you need a floating deck on a 36-inch machine? I'm being serious I live in New England we have some of the worst terrain for cutting you’ve ever seen there’s a reason you don’t see big farms here for us 75 acres is a big farm the land is rocky and the land is hilly and having spent all the years cutting that I have, I still have no clue what you would need a floating deck on a micro mower for. I mean were talking a 3 foot deck here that’s nothing hell my boots are 12 inches each I think your going after features that really aren’t needed on such a small machine I personally wouldn’t even go floating deck on a 48.

10. The Happy Gardner

I've never used E-bay before, what do you look under????
    Dosen't shipping kill you??????