1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much sq. ft. out of a Permagreen?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RCA, Mar 24, 2006.

1. RCA

RCA LawnSite Member

Hey guys, searched several pages of threads but couldn't find an answer to this question...
    My rounds 1,2,5,6, are liquid apps sprayed out of my 200 gal Lesco Space saver. Depending upon which round... I'm using either Pre-M or Simazine in combination with Three-Way. Can I still go with a liquid only program in those rounds with a Permagreen and cover a decent amount of sq. ft. or do I have to use a combination of granular and liquid? Is there a liquid pre-emergent that I can spray with such a low volume of water? Finally, how much square feet can I broadcast spray (not spot spray) with a Permagreen Magnum? Any info would be appreciated.
  2. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard it does not cover as well, but if anyone knows different I would like to know too
  3. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

The owners information quotes that the 12 gal. tank on a Permagreen Magnum will cover 55,000 sq.ft. of blanket spray with herbicide. I mix at a lower rate 1.3/oz. per 1000 sq. ft. in one tank. I've never tried spraying liquid pre-m or fert. I use all granular. You can spray herbicide, just check your coverage with water and adjust your fert. calibration so that you get good overlap with the herbicide and fert.
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

it depends on the fertilizer you are using. with what I'm using now I can cover 37,500 with the hopper full. I think you would need to change the nozzle's if you wanted to spray pre-m.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. The manufacturers specs on hwmuch y9u can spray and the actual area that you get from a tank is two different things. I took mine out to see how much area I was getting when I first got it, so I would know for mixing. I sprayed straight water and used a wide open area in a parking lot and experimented with a few takks full. With boundary and overlap, I get 32,000sq. ft. per tank as opposed to the 34,000 that is suggested by the manufacturer. This is on an ULTRA SE model with an 8 gallon tank. A Magnum, with a 12 gallon tank that specs out at 55,000 sq ft., may get closer to 52,000 sq. ft., I would think. That's STILL a whole lot of coverage.
    As far as the pre-m question, I don't know. I would have to read the label per product, because some products prohibit mixing with such small volumes of water (as do some insecticides). I am told this is avoidable by mixing it at half rate, and going over the area twice. But like I say,...it will vary label to label. Look it up and that will will tell us. I hope this helps.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

All liquid pre-emergent herbicides recommend they be watered in within 7 days. Good luck if you don't get rain soon. (solar degration + oxidation).

Best bet is to use a granualar formulation of fert & pre. Problem is .... broadleaf weed control on small-leafed weeds >> with the little "spit" the Permagreen units put out, good luck on clover, speedwell, creeping Charlie, spurge, purslane, knotweed, etc. (no complete coverage of weed foliage that labels call for). Sorry Permagreen.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Again, I've never had any problem with successful kill of all weeds. As far as clover,..that's an easy one. For the ground ivy, Confront of Momentum work great (commercial and residential, respectfully).
  8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have been spraying low volumes for 15 years. I usually spray 5 gal/acre with 3-point tractor sprayers. My Magnum puts out 6-7 gallons/acre. I have no problems with weed control. Clover is easy. I got 95% control on ground ivy with one application last year during the middle of a warm dry summer. The yard was severely infested. I used full rate of Three-way and half rate of Surge. I sprayed it using my Permagreen. The Co-ops spray hayfields, that are 1 to 2 feet high, with Roundup using 12 gal/acre. Why would 5 gal/acre on a lawn not work. You are still getting the same amount of product/acre, just concentrated. I think with 30-40 gal/acre some of the product is just washing off.
  9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

are you sure you are using the proper rate? I've had excellent kill this year with my new PG magnum.
  10. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

I get 51,000 per tank with my perma green spraying three way, and we have no problem with killing small leaf weeds.