How much time does my rider save me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Feb 27, 2007.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48 scag rider tiger cub, i wanna get a 48 or 52 exmark tracer walk behind. I cut about 100 lawns a week with the scag that takes about 36 hours if i switched to a walk behind how many hours you think it would take? the avg house with out drive is about 20mins.

Reason for switching is too many customers complain about the rider.

2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

For small yards try the new Walker super B front mount rider. Nearly as small as a walk behind but much faster. (8 mph top speed) choice of deck sizes, easy on tender turf, about 200 lbs lighter that the Cub. P.S. I have a tiger cub and really like it, but I have some customers that request that I use the Walker on their yards. Its the MT GHS and I charge extra for it.

3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing was happening to me, I had a 61 in rider and could knock a yard out, but many of my customers would complain about the size of the mower. I backed down to a 36 and 48 WB and have not seen too much of a difference. You really can only go as fast as the weedeater can go. When I had my rider I'd be done so quick my weedeater man was killing himself to get done, and I was waiting on him.

Only real time I miss my rider is when I'm doing my lawn, because it is pretty wide open and flat. The rider didnt do to well with hills and often ended up sliding and tearing up turf. Since going back to WB I'll have to admit my lawns look a lot better.

4. mow2nd

By the way I also mow around 85-95 yards a week which equals around 35-38 hrs. Keep in mind my yards are all less than 10,000 sq ft.

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use my 61" ZTR on my larger jobs of an acre or more and use my 52" wb on all the other jobs. I do 75 yards a week in around 24-26 hours

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

You guys don't have much travel time between lawns, do you? I couldn't even think about doing 75 yards in 25 hours.

7. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i mean so im not the only one out there thinking along these lines, specially because im not out in the field every day so the guys arent as careful as an owner. Back to my first ? how many more hours you think i could be looking at/

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 5- 10 mins between lawns but a few are next to each other which helps cut down on travel time. I would love to have 10 -20 lawns in one neighbor hood to knock em out quicker

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

What about he 48" rider do they not like....It looks too big? does damage? or is their coplaint one of "It only takes him 20 minutes to cut my grass and I'm paying him HOW MUCH"

A WB will rut up and tear grass as easily as a rider. If anything the weight of the rider on its contact patch is less damaging than that of a WB which has smaller tires and less area to distribute its weight.

If the machine is tearing up or rutting the grass, thats operator error (not a dig or an insult). not being careful with your turns, and not changing your mowing pattern. Try changing your blades, that can make a huge difference in the way the grass is cut, Sharpen more often.

The folks who are complaining, is their grass lush and full or is it weed infested and not well taken care of(aside form regular mowing)...?

The client may not like the size of the machine, but in all honesty their main issue is watching you zip around in a hurry and be gone to the tune of 60 bucks an hour....

How many people are complaining.... if you have 10 people who complain, then you have 90 people who are happy. You think They don't like the 48" rider, wait until you show up with the 52" WB, it will look like a WAW to them and they will still complain...

If you picked up the 52" WB you probably wont loose any time. the larger cut area will compensate for loss of speed.

the 48" wb may cost you 10% of labor time. Thinking about speed and operator fatigue.

The Key here is to find out what it is that they REALLY don't like. Maybe they are just looking for excuse to leave....

10. mow2nd

MAYBE 5 MIN BETWEEN YARDS. WE USUALLY DONE 10-12 YARDS BY LUNCH. CRUISE CONTROL REST OF DAY, 20 A DAY BY 3 OR 4. COUPLE STOPS WE CAN KNOCK OUT 2 OR 3 YARDS