1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how much time for mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bobbygedd, Mar 6, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

did some mulch today. i timed two yards. pitch it out of truck, into wheelbarrow, and dump in beds, that were real close to truck( no more than 30 feet). how long should it take one man to do this?

2. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I would estimate 2 hours

3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

You left out how many bed's and there size so I would have no clue.

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

maybe 1 1/2 hrs?

5. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

around 2 to 2.5 hrs

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

need more info BG..no plants? a few? many? # of plants in the beds makes all the difference in productivity

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

It's not how long it took you but how long you bid ... site unseen I'd go 1yd3 per hour.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

like i said, just make piles in beds, nothing more than pitch, roll, and dump, 30 feet max. believe it or not, client wanted to spread it himself?????;) said he needed "something to do sunday, to keep himself busy."

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

what i'm trying to do, is time myself down to the minute for different types of jobs. i started a small retaining wall(i'll post pics when done), and i'm timing myself so i can then charge per foot, or per 5 ft section, i'm not sure yet, but i want to be able to price very accurately on all the services we do. so i timed my mulch yesterday. not rushing, but at a reasonable pace, because this will be the pace during the summer heat, etc.

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Bobby ...thats great that your starting to keep production records.We have years of them. Just remember that it will change once you have employees... When your keeping track of your walls keep separate notes on your base level ... you should be charging more for that course , it can be 50% of the time spent on a wall ... I hope Im being clear .... example would be a wall that is 200 blocks long(one course) will take you much longer than a wall 40 long by 5 high. We include excavation and the base prep with the first course.