How much time on cleanup for dethatching

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BeautifulBlooms, Apr 3, 2006.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I can estimate the amount of time it will take to run a dethatcher across someones lawn Two fairly large areas and a couple little small areas totalling 8850 Sq. Ft. But how much hand labor is involved in picking up the debris from the dethatcher? I have never used a dethatcher before so I just dont know how much is left on the surface. Do you just rake right over the whole area and end up with a pile of thatch? Any help would be appreciated.

I am guessing it will take me about 1 hour to dethatch the whole area. SO how much time will it take me to clean everythign up?
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

What we do after thatching is get the backpacks out and blow everything into a pile and pick it up.How long it takes,well that depends on if you are bagging it or putting it in a dump truck.
  3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

I t depends on how much thatch how well yuo dethatch and the lenth of the grass to begin with and how you clean it up. We cut the lawn 1st as short as we can and bag it. Then dethatch it, then use a trac vac laser to pick it up, dump in a big pile, and bag it in compost bags and leave with the customer, 8800 sq feet would take us 45 minutes on an average lawn and would cost roughly 125-150. Haul away would be xtra.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

if your going to rake it up by hand it's going to take a long time. JMO