How much time/painting old farm tractor!

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by larryinalabama, Jul 18, 2014.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im painting my old farm tractor. My original plan was/is too do a rush job spending 8 to 10 hours.

So I got my paint yesterday and spent a little over 100$. Then today I want to the graphics shop to see if they can reproduce the stickers, they can for 40$ so I said make some up.

So Im going too be close to 200$ and Im thinking that it might be worth the effort to do a real nice job. Im figuring close too 30 hours.

SO is it worth the time? The money is already spent.

2. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Do you use the tractor? You can do a pretty quick job that looks good for a tractor that's used. Up here metal gets so pitted on old tractors its not worth doing a fancy job because it will never look great.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. larryinalabama

I use it, and yes theres a lot of pits, the only way to do a first class job is to strip it down to bear metal and coat it with about 3 coats of primer, wet sand and paint. Its a strong tractor and if I didn't have so many projects right now I would do the real nice job.

4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Ugh... I got about $500 worth of paint/primer in a '49 FA Cub I re-did a couple years ago, and about $650 in a '51 M.

5. larryinalabama

This is what I got.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...ntry-tractor-truck--implement-1-gal-ford-blue

I spent a little over 100$, got a quart of white, reducer and hardner.

Im only painting the sheet metal, engine and gear box can just be touched up.

Im leaning towards a fast job.

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I've always used Sherwin Williams.... I can get a good deal on the paint because we mow for a Federated Auto Parts store, but he can't give much of a discount on the hardener, reducer, primer, all that other "needed" crap.

549504_4575680996335_1293802290_n.jpg

7. larryinalabama

Im positive that would be a lot better, but I think SW industrial paint is
    about 80$ a gallon. Our local Sherwin Williams doesn't know anything about paint.

I have bought a lot of automotive paint from paintforcars.com.

Back in the day I alaways went to NAPA and bought Martin Senor, it was good paint for the $$$$, but NAPAs around here don't mix paint anymore.

Im a little worried how well this 30$ paint is going to go throught the gun, I did buy extra reducer.

Oh well its a work machine and the biggest thing is to keep the rust off it.

8. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Bet this is where you end up going. Slippery slope,

9. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Bet this is where you end up going. Slippery slope,
    Reminds me of Yoda's advice to Luke about the dark side.

10. larryinalabama

The Tractor is Blue man, Blue.