1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much time would it take 1 man to shuvel and wheel barrel a yard of dirt?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Aug 22, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

A wowan wants a small 9x12 pool in her backyard filled with topsoil. MOst of it is full. But I think she needs about 2-4 pickup truck loads full as she wants it filled and then rounded at the top to have a mound to plant flowers and things on. How long should I figure it will take me to shuvel and wheel barrel each yard of topsoil ( the guy said a yard of black top soil is about 1800 lbs which is the most I should haul each load in a standard pick up, even though 2 yards;3600 lbs would fit). The distance between her small back yard and the street is only about 50 ft. BUt I'll have to shuvel it all out of my bed cause it's not tilt. I was thinking about an hour for each truck load ( this isn't counting picking it up, I'm adding an hour for that too). I was going to give her an estimate of $240-480 as I'm not sure how much I'll exactly need to do what she wants. It's 9x12 area and I need to make a mound starting at about 6 inches up to 3 foot in the center of dirt added.
    I'm scared to give her a set price for I could be WAY off in my estimation of how much dirt and time is needed to complete this although it's a very basic job.
  2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

How long does it take you to move 2 yards of mulch out of your truck. The only difference with the topsoil is its heavier. It shouldn't take more than 45 minutes. One yard is about 9 wheelbarrow loads.
  3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Rent a MT55....thats a lot of dirt, and will be a killer on the back at the end of the day. I will never ever never move anything other then mulch with a wheel barrow...JMO. But at a steady pace, maybe a little over a hour or two....