How much time?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Apr 22, 2004.

1. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

Right now I'm just getting started, and all I have is a regular 42" riding mower. I'm just curious how much time a 48" commercial walkbehind or ztr will cut off from my jobs once I can afford to get one.

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Once you are proficient with a ZTR you can cut your mowing time in half.

3. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

you need to look at it like this:

w/ a 48" WB you are cutting an additional 5-6 inches per pass. Now, when you get to the end of a row you touch the controls and within 2 seconds you are headed back onto the next row. With a traditional riding mower you are limited to your turning radius.

I'm not sure if it is half but it would be pretty close. However, lets assume you have 10 lawns to do a day that each take you an hour with your riding mower. Assuming a WB saves you 25% in time alone. That means 2.5 hours can be saved per day.

The other thing to look at would be the professional look of the cut. Take a walk through some neighborhoods and you can see which homeowners use riders or 21" WB versus the large 36" and up commercial mowers.

4. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I just needed to know so I could try to price my lawns fairly with the competition.