How much to 2, 4, D to mix?...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Dogin, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Dogin

Dogin LawnSite Member

How much 2, 4, D, Amine should you mix in a 2 Gallon hand sprayer for spot spraying the yard?

Thanks,

Keith

2. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

You should read the label. Anyway we mix ours @ about 3 oz per gallon.

3. Dogin

Dogin LawnSite Member

The label got torn off.

Thanks for your reply!

Keith

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dogin

Good luck on the torn off label. 2,4-D comes as 4 pound material or 6 pound material and some can be what we call loaded or unloaded. Each will have a different rate. TurfRyder applies his brand at 6 oz and I apply mine at 1/2 oz

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Look the label up online. They are ALL available. Second,...and most important, you need to calibrate your sprayer and know how much area you're covering per gal.. I don't care WHAT label you are reading, it will NOT tell you how much to mix per gallon of water..unless you're mixing plaster or concrete or something. Pesticides are measured by the area covered.
    It is easy to take advice like "mix 3 oz. per gallon", but go out there and soak it down, and see what happens. On the other hand, wet it too light, and see how many times you're back out there doing it over again.

6. Dogin

Dogin LawnSite Member

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you!

7. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

The amount of 2, 4 D will vary depending on the target grass that you are killing weeds in. Some southern grasses will burn easily with 2,4, D if mixed at a Fescue or Kenturky Blue Grass rate.

8. Dogin

Dogin LawnSite Member

I live on 21 acres and my "yard" has areas that are primarily weeds and then I have areas of good bermuda. I plan on spraying the entire property at some point.

I have a 30 gallon atv sprayer that I bought from my nephew that they used to spray 500 acre rice fields with.

My yard is competing with the rest of the acreage and I need to get it all under control.

9. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Go get a copy of the label from the dealer or online and put it on the bottle. If you get stopped with a bottle with no label :nono:

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's for his own lawn, so he should be alright. Dogin, this sprayer should suffice for your purposes. Just do not let it get low - keep it reasonably full (no less tan 1/4 tank) until you start getting toward the back of your property where you may be less concerned with the immediate results. What happens is, with these sprayers, as they get low, the splashing around and such can cause breaks in the uptake of the hoses, and therefore, missed spots. Also, if you are unsure on how to calibrate that sprayer, let us know, and we can walk you through it rather easily.