how much to bid on a 140 yard mulch job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnMan883, Mar 4, 2008.

1. LawnMan883

LawnMan883 LawnSite Member

i have never bid a mulch job this large but can get a semi truck load dumped at the site for about 2300 delivered. how much should i figure for labor on this much...i will have 2 helpers and a 16 foot open trailer and a couple wheel barrows to haul the mulch to the places on site.

2. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

Our basic charge per yard of mulch (black or brown) and labor is $75.00, however if its around flowers and alot of hand spreading we adjust accordingly............

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Is that price for the 140 or for the semi. The semis I get are 40-50 yards each. That is a heck of a lot of mulch to spread by hand. With 3 guys you can expect to spend at least a week moving it. Add more time if you have to move it twice. If you can use a machine than you can knock it down to 2 days probably. The cost of the labor will be far more than the cost of the machine.

4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

That price for the mulch (if per semi load @ 2300) is high, I get it for about a thousand less per load. Thats a lot of mulch to spread, good luck.

5. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

The Semi's that bring my mulch can bring 65 yards of Brown and 60 yards of Black, Each load cost about $800, On a job that big you need a front end loaded to help move it, we use a Kubota B7500 on all our much jobs (5 yards or more).

6. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

All I have to say is that I agree with the guys on this one.... you better have some form of loader to move this amount of mulch. Two guys and some wheel barrows aren't gonna touch it. Plus how are you gonna load it onto your trailer you mentioned? I've moved 80yds in a day with two trucks, a loader, and 6 guys slinging it like like they loved it! It can be done in 2-3 days, all depending on how far you have to go with it. But without any machinery, you can bet on 7-10 days. You probably should look at sub-ing it out to a blower and still make a few bucks per yard on the job. Just an idea.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Don't bother wasting your time. If you plan on wheel barrowing 140yds of mulch, someone will blow your numbers to kingdom come. Guys that are equipped will do that job in 1-2 days soup to nuts. Your gonna be there for a week with 3 guys.

8. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with everyone else. We charge anywhere from $100 to $125 a yard. See if you can work a loader and a mulch blower into the deal. We rent mulch blowers down here for $375.00 a day. Big difference when through the large amounts at our commercials.

9. 3day240sx

3day240sx LawnSite Member

Where are you installing 140 yards where you would have to wheelbarrow it to be spread?

10. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If someone rents a mulch blower for that little they are nuts! We had one years ago and would get 1300 a day for the tow behind unit with one operater.