how much to charge?anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scooper, Sep 12, 2002.

1. scooper

scooper LawnSite Member
    from alabama

I got a job i was asked to bid on, its a perimeter around a subdivison thats almost a mile long. with a fence all the way around and a few trees too. Its about a 40ft with being the widest spot which runs along the side of a road? What would be a good estimate for this job?
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Are you cutting with a 22" mower or a 12' batwing on a farm tractor?

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of fence is this fine turf or ruff turf can ya roundup along the fence so you wont have to trim it and like guido said what size mower ???? more info plz
  4. scooper

scooper LawnSite Member
    from alabama

i am using a toro hydro with 44'' deck, the fence is wood, and the turf is kinda ruff...
  5. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

If it is not extremly ruff, 40x5280= 4.8 acres, time estimate appx 4 to 5 hours, 300.00 - 400.00 to mow & trim
  6. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

walk one length of the area at your mower speed (or drive it), then multiply it by how many strips you'll do. Add in the weedeating and charge a dollar a minute. You'll make money.:cool:
    Is it for a friend? Is it in a community that you allready have accounts in? If so, you might want to go a little cheaper. If it's far away, make it worth your while. Good luck.
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you just ask them to let you mow it once in order to tell how long it will take and then give the bid? :D
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim has a good idea. I have done this before and then given a very accurate bid after knowing exactly how long it took me to do. On residentials they are usually standard and easy to bid but on a large comm. property I find it more difficult to bid accurately just by looking and guessing. Good luck.
  9. Here's the answer. $200
  10. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

What a great post!

Any more pearls of wisdom?