How much to charge for 5.5 acres?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daren, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

Bidding on a location that is approximately 5.5 acres of grass. Several buildings on property. couple of banks approximately 15 high and 150 feet long that will have to be weedeated. Mow weekly. Curious to see what others charge for this. Will be paid per mowing.

Daren

2. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I approach any new account based on how long it is going to do the job. Depending on the complexity of the lay out I charge any where b/w $35.00 an hour to $55.00 an hour. Commercial is closer to $55.00. I back off and look at the property and estimate how many hours it will take- then I time ea. 'section' ( flower beds, parking lots...). If my second est. is close to the first I take the higher. If I am drastically off I do the whole thing over.

I take an intuative approach rather than getting the square footage and computing it out. Other men may differ and compute it otherwise.

I almost always seperate out shrubs, pruning, pine straw- thing like that.

Most of the time I'll recommend how many visits a year to give the account. Almost always the customer goes with my recommendation. My largest account is close to what you describe. I go out 26 times a year. I charge them $750.00 a month. It's a HOA next to the coast.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Sheppard if the acerage is fairly smooth my bid would be 247.50 per cut. And if you spend alot of time on those hills trimming,id tack on the footage. Somewhere around 990.00 per month......Marks Mowing Service

4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would most likely be at $285 per cut. It really depends on how long it will take you to do those hillsides.

5. _GUNNER_8

_GUNNER_8 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Darren what type of equipment using? and how many people going be on grounds?Your in Tn so base it on 32 cuts, If using a 60inchztr and 52inch walkbehind,and not ruff ground u can cut that in hour,have 3rd guy trimming around buildings sidewalks ect., then all three team up on banks and blowing,you guys should easily be out under 2 hours.If u think banks are a killer add extra hour that put you at 3 hours at $60 hour Be $180 based on 32 cuts would be $5760 divided by 12 be $480 month year round time you add mulch,flowers,shrubs,ect., you would be able to push that up quite bit higher after 1st couple cuts you want have that much time involved as est.,you should get quicker each time.Hope i helped

6. Gunner that's only $20 a man hour, a little cheap don't you think.

9 man hours at $20 = $180

If they got it done in 6 hours that would be $30 a man hour.

I would atleast go $35 a man hour on the low low end x 9 hours = $315

BTW Yall are a little low there no one is over $300 for a 3 hour plus job.

7. jay warner

jay warner LawnSite Member
    from sc

I agree, higher rates are a must. However lower rates rule, due to bad business. By this I mean the LMC's operating without insurance, WC, licensing, or experience out there low balling the socks off of me. And I go for the sweet accounts too. I am a residential builder as well and have to carry a state license governed by a committee, LLC, they regulate us to insure quality housing and consumer safety. I wish some how Grounds Maintenance could get on the same page. Making these start ups know the business and all the ramifications that go along with it. Not just buy a hot rod mower and start cutting grass. I hear ya, a lot of us did this me included. Only difference here was that when I started there may have been 5 LMCs in the area so I wasn't screwing with market prices and was strictly bidding small residential accounts. Believe me cutting grass ain't what it use to be. Some of my accounts pay more per year than the houses I build, so don't tell me we don't need some sort of Licensing process. Just my thoughts.

8. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I would be at $264 a cut, Thats if it is all fairly flat, and I can get most of it on the Walker. I am about in the same boat as Mark.

9. _GUNNER_8

_GUNNER_8 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Lawn i don't base that on man hours, i base that on crew hours,which i would be paying out $52 in wages on that account, based on 2 hours, however i would bid it at 3 hours, but my crew would have NO problem doing that less than 2 hours. My crew of 3 would costs me $26 a hour so at 2 hours only got $52 in that account in wages per time, that leaves $128 for 2 hours after wages i don't think that is low at all,but if i'm cutting with small equipment and only 1 or 2 guys yes i would be in mid $200 range because of hours,I work in VOLUME i don't have to relie on account that size to pay bills lot of guys that would be 1 of their big accounts if not their big account, but you know as well as i do something wrong if good crew can not do that in less than 2 hours

10. I'm not trying to get in a debate with you, but I got the calculator out.

avg. $8.67 an hour that's some cheap labor:D (send me some of these guys)(alos I assume no taxes)

3 crew hours at a cost of aprox $37.50 X 3 = $112.50

equipment cost per crew hour guess $30 X 3 = $90

Each employee at $10 an hour plus all equipent, labor tax, ins, fuel, etc. costs.

$202.50 3 guys 3 hours

$135 3 guys 2 hours