How much to charge for aeration and how to?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Sep 29, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple customers that would like their lawns aerated as well as overseeded. They are about 1/6-1/4 acre homes. How long will it take me on avg and what should I charge ( if I have to rent this machine at about $50/day)? I've heard one guy around here charges like $50 to aerate. But he owns his own machine. The only way I could charge that low is if I got at least 4-5 in one day or else I dont' think it would be worth it based on the expense of rental. I've heard this works very well for over seeding though and I could add hopefully another $30-50 at least for over-seeding right? I'm not sure what to charge. Also, how is the best way to aerate and overseed? I've read that in the morning is best cause the ground may be softer or if not, have em use a sprinkler before I come out.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I still lowball aeration, yes I admit it I still do it.

40 bucks below a 1/4 acre, that's also my minimum, maybe 45 per 1/4, then it's roughly grass cut fee (+5 per 1/8th)... Uhm so let me see I charged 75 for 2/3 of a HILLY acre the other day... Half acre cut = 45 + (5 x 4) = 65 and add another 10 for the last hilly bit = 75... Or 5/8 = 70 as per the specials price list further below.

But it depends on the complexity of the lot as well, that one above a good 1/8-1/4 of an acre was on such a hill I could only aerate going UP hill, then roll the machine back down, then back UP, one path at a time, very time consuming but it was a job well done. Could've half-azzed it for 50-60, but I'm all about doing it right anymore, guess I could've got 80 for it too, ehhhh whatever.

There are my 2007 'specials' which aren't that much below normal:
    1/4 acre lot (~11k sq.feet): $40.00
    3/8 acre lot (~16k sq.feet): $50.00
    1/2 acre lot (~22k sq.feet): $60.00
    5/8 acre lot (~27k sq.feet): $70.00
    3/4 acre lot (~33k sq.feet): $80.00
    7/8 acre lot (~38k sq.feet): $90.00
    Full acre (43,560 sq.feet): $100.00

And that's for a pretty normal lot, add 5 per 1/8 acre of obstacle courses.
    Now keep in mind if it's a full acre and only 1/4 is an obstacle course, only that part gets the surcharge so it'd be 110...
    etc, etc

3. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Top site hahaha I like how make it it all easy and Price it out your way with your little Charts, Thanks man.

4. green-pa

Thanks Topsites! How long does it take u to aerate the avg 1/4 acre?

5. fslm

fslm LawnSite Member

Go to the rental center, ask how much to rent a machine for the day. Add 10 dollars on per yard. 50 to rent + 10= 60 a yard(60x120). To the customer if they want to do it themselves, it will cost them 50 bucks, so they probably will pay you the extra 10 so they wont break their backs doing it. Sell it that way and you'll get it. and yes get more than one to do if you have to rent. offer a special 100 bucks for both.

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Holy Crap Topsites.

I get around

90 for 1/4 acre
    150 for half acre
    230 for 1/4 acre
    280 for full acre

and according to our local truegreen and lawn doctor, I am lowballing.

7. DAR57

DAR57 LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Are you guys counting your area as the whole thing overall or do you subtract the house, drive, outbuildings etc?

8. green-pa

Heh, are these prices for aerating AND overseeding or just aerating? Also, do aeraters have overseeders built in or would I have to rent a seperate maching for this? Or could I just use a basic Scott's broadcast spreader or something to put down the seed?

9. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea he is way low...I get $15/1000sq ft with a $75 minimum. And I can't handle all the business I get at those rates...My 10,000 sq ft price is 50% more than his 1 acre price?! I don't know why people aerate for free? They are leaving money on the table.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is more like the prices I hear and provide. Maybe a bit higher.

It's not based on sq/ft, it's more about the time it will take. More intricate areas require a lot of detail work and time.