1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge for aeration and how to?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Sep 29, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

THanks for the input on prices guys. I'm guessing these are for Aeration ONLY. How much would u say to add to over seed this area too? And how much to add? Perhaps I better do a seperate thread for this. I've seen bags of seed for 8,000 sq ft ( about 1/6 acre ) for $40 or something like that. THis is not wholesale, however, if it requires a whole bag like that to do a yard, and the time it takes to buy the bag and then go over the yard with a broadcaster or something, I would think it would need to add quite a bit more to cover the cost of seed and rental of aerator.

How about these prices for Aeration and Overseeding for entire yard:

1/8 $120
    1/6 $150
    1/4 $200
    1/2 $300

I may be way off, but if seed costs anywhere from $30 ( for an 1/6 of an acre) or $50 ( for 1/4) acre, aren't these ok?
  2. green-pa

Another question I've not yet gotten answered is "How do I sew the seed after aeration? Do I do it at the same time with the same machine ( if possible)? Or will I have to use some slit seeder or broadcaster? I don't want to get in over my head renting several machines if I don't have to.
  3. green-pa

Also, how long should I figure on an avg 1/4 acre lot to aerate and or overseed? This will make it easier to figure my prices. I'd like to make at least $40/hr when it's all said and done.
  4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I just had the opposite experience. I could have rented a Stump grinder from Home Depot for $70 and did it myself. Instead I hired a guy for $50 and I didn't have to do anything.:laugh:
  5. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I would say that you could use a Scott's or Earthway spreader. They do make aerators that have spreaders built in, but since your just starting out, I'd say if you have a spreader, just use that. It will take a bit longer, but you'd probably have to pay more for an aerator with that feature anyway.
  6. green-pa

Thanks for that info! ANy of u guys have some estimates as to how long I should figure it will take on say an avg 1/6, 1/4 acre lot to aerate and then overseed with a manual broadcast spreader? I'm thinking these machines are pretty slow compared to lawn mowers so I can time it off of that. Surely they are only 1-2 mph at best. Seems like that could mean doing a 1/4 acre yard could take an hour or more, unless my calculations are incorrect. To overseed shouldn't take much time as I can walk fast and the broadcaster will send out at about a 5 foot width. I'd say that part may only take like 15 min or less ( to overseed that is).
  7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

And that's for a pretty normal lot, add 5 per 1/8 acre of obstacle courses.
    Now keep in mind if it's a full acre and only 1/4 is an obstacle course, only that part gets the surcharge so it'd be 110...
    etc, etc[/QUOTE]

Wow I guess you do low ball or maybe it is just attributed to a different geographical area
  8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

$16 per thousand sq ft of lawn(aeration only). Don't give this service away....any homeowner who has wrestled with the rental units are happy to pay $16 per 1000.
  9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

For those who asked, the prices I listed are for aeration only.

Overseeding prices are about 30% higher to account for the cost of seed.

I takes me about 1/2 hour o an hour for a 1/4 acre to 1 hour to 1.5 hours for a full acre. The broad range is because some yards take longer due to obsticles, the way it is laid out, ect. I charge for the lot size, I do not deduct for the house.

If fact, I don't even measure, I guesstimate the size by looking at it.
  10. green-pa

That sounds like pretty good time LushGreen. How do u manage an hour or 90 minutes only for a whole acre? Is this with 2 machines/2men, a larger aerator or? Are these times with a standard $50/day aerator like Sunbelt rents? I think they are about 2 feet wide there. Do u overlap at all or is that unnecassary? I just don't see how u could do an acre in such short time! It takes me about 1.5 hours to mow ( only) an acre with a 42 inch mower at top speed, which is about 4-5mph I think. Surely an aerator is less than 1/2 that speed. But I just want to find out for sure.

thanks lush green