How much to charge for aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GreenN'Clean, Apr 17, 2007.

1. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Greetings All

I haven't done any core aerations due to the fact that none of my customers have ever wanted it done until this year and I don't know what the going rate is to charge for that service. I have had a few calls wanting it done and one of my regular customers asked me about a quote for it and his lawn is right around 9k sq ft so my question is what is the going price for aerating a 9k sq foot lawn?
  2. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

2 ways to do it:

i charge 3x what i charge for a lawn cut (very nice profit margin here and not unreasonable considering aerators are about 20" and slower than my mower, which is 52")

or figure your aereator's covergae speed, and ball park your hourly rate.
    i'dgo a little high on this svc. b/c its once/twice a year and some of those aerators aren't fun to wrestle with
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

3x the lawn charge is a good estimation. But how would you do it if say you had a 5 foot aerator on a tractor and could do a max of 9mph :p Ill be doing mine in a week, i know some customers are going to say... i paid $150 for THAT!... after im done in 14 minutes lol
  4. johnnywill08

from MA z6

well that's where alot of people differ in opinion, but you shouldn't be penalized for being more efficient.

example: got my first leaf loader last fall, hired a part-timer and upgraded to 3 redmax ebz-8000's. b/f i used to tarp leaves onto truck (more time, more trips to dump, 8x as many actually, and more cost b/c dump charges by volume). also i had 1 other guy instead of 2 and used wimpy blowers. now a $350 cleanup that took 4 hours takes less than 1. no way i'm dropping my price because my system got better. not to mention my overhead went up (extra guy, more $$ equip.) customer pays for the job done, time shoudn't matter to them if its a fair price. time should only matter to you.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I charge between 12-18 dollars a thousand. more acerage the lower per k. Min is 45 regardless of the size. Love aerations. We have almost completed ours for the year minus new customers. so far over 900 done. Now these are an average of 4k per turf lots. do roughly 25 a day. nice chunk of change when you can send one guy out and gross around 1300 or more.
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for all your help!!! Very much appreciated
  7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 48" pull behind core aerator. It works pretty good with a few cinder blocks on top. Cost me $150 for the aerator and it was used from a rental shop.
  8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

$20.00/msf for just plain core aeration. $35.00&up for aeration + seed. lime extra $
  9. johnnywill08

from MA z6

what's msf?
  10. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

it's per 1,000 sq ft
    m = 1,000

My rate is $15 per 1k sq ft with a $75 minimum