How much to charge for basic gutter cleaning?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Miller Mowing, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Miller Mowing

Miller Mowing LawnSite Member

Hello guys. Its been a while since I had posted here, but I had a question for all of ya. Lately I have been getting a lot of requests for cleaning out the gutters on peoples houses. I really hadn't done much of that in the past, and generally if I did, it was for a client that I was also mowing for. Not many guys in my area do any of this work, and I was sort of at a loss as to what to charge for just the basic gutter cleaning. I just use a 5 gallon bucket and ladder and just dig em out by hand. (with leather gloves) Nothing fancy by any means, but I was totally swamped with work yesterday just the same. I was charging about $12.00 for the small 1 story houses and about $20 for mid size houses that require tall ladders and/or up-on-roof type thing. Is this too much? Not enough? Just right? Any input you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and until then I will be cleaning gutters $12.00 to $20.00 at a time...
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

$1 per linear foot on single story, $2 per linear foot on 2 stories, after that you're on your own. I do not drop the price for anybody.

Think about it this way.......if I fall off the roof how much is it going to cost me to get a broken finger fixed? Let alone a broken leg of worse a broken back. Who's going to get my work done for me while I'm laid up? What if I can never get back to work.

No my prices on gutter cleaning is high, but I clean them good and I'm REALLY careful.
  3. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

$12.00 to $20.00? Can we sub you out for our gutter cleaning?

Call a gutter company in your area and ask them how much they charge...pretend your a homeowner. I bet you'll be suprised.
  4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Do to the risk involved, for non-regular customers I charge around $50 for single story. I blow em out then clean up my mess.
  5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

12-20 is dirt cheap. We charge 35 minimum. Alot of times we price it into the leaf removal job. If someone calls just for gutter cleaning we just tell them 35 minimum. You need to raise your rates. Like everyone else is saying, factor in some hazzard pay into your price.

good luck
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Miller, $8 an hour for leaves, $12 to clean gutters??? I suggest you spend this entire winter reading lawnsite! Archives and all my friend!!
  7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Neil, dont do anything for less then $20-25 a hour! And go from there. I started out charging $12.50 a hour, and I feel like a fool now. Do some reading on lawn site, use the search, and look like a pro, so you can charge like one.
  8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i go $30 for single story $45 two story
  9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

That is cheap I charge a min of 25 dollars. I blow them out that takes about 15 min but if the down spouts are cloged then i will double the price. as far as money wise I would rather clean gutters than mow.
  10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I wish I could get a $1 a linear foot, or .50 a foot? I charge $20 to $25 for a single story that I blow out at the time of clean up. Digging in the gutter is defineatly more money.

Had a customer cancle me cus a guy came by and told them he would clean the gutters for $10, mow the grass for $10, and clean up the leaves for $15. This is a 3500 foot property. I need to contract this guy out! ;)