1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge for hauling snow??

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by IRISH, Dec 28, 2000.

1. IRISH

IRISH LawnSite Member

How much should i charge for hauling snow piles??
    We will be using a kabota and a bobcat with our dumps and was woundering what is a good rate for these services any feedback would be greatly app.

2. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Hello....few things to consider first. How far away
    is the dumping area? Id charge min. of $40per hr. for each
    machine, including dump trucks. Also figure small amount
    for dumping fee. One other thing to consider is area that
    your dumping the snow. Ive heard in the past that some areas
    will not let you dump snow due to salt content effecting water tables.
  3. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Those prices sound about right. I'd probably charge a 2 hour min plus a equipment hauling fee for your time to get the equipment to the site.
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We get $85 per hr for our trucks and loaders, If we have to hire trucker to haul off snow then we charge cost +20%.
  5. Guest

We charge $85 per hour for a Ford F-800 with 1 hr minimum and $105 per hour for a Komatsu 180 wheel loader with 2 yd bucket. If I were you I would try to get more per hour if the market will bear it a few years ago when we were hit hard I know guys that were charging $100 per hour to haul with there 1 ton dumps and almost $200 per hour for loaders and were gouging everybody, thats when I decided I would never go through another winter without my own loader. Just My two cents
  6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I felt that gouging before, ouch! I paid $350.00 - $400.00 hour for 3 yard loaders after the blizzard of 96 that we had. In this area you can't find anybody using backhoe type loaders for less than $150.00hour and skidloaders go from $75.00 - $150.00hour. Tandem dumps can be hired for anywhere from $75.00 - $120.00hour. I charge a minimum 1 hour travel time & a minimum 3 hour charge. People don't want to bring their loaders out to a site for an hour of work, so if I only have one or 2 sites needing loader work, I've got incentive to get the loader there to do the work for me. Hopefully Santa will be bringing me a loader in the future.