how much to charge for mowing and edging weed eating a 1 acre yard

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by seric, Jan 6, 2005.

1. seric

seric LawnSite Member

I need some help coming up with a price for mowing a one acre yard, with edging, weed eating. By an hourly calculation for two people and also by square footage. We tried the dollar a minute price and only came up with 45.oo that seems very low to me.

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I go by 10,000 sqft blocks. I charge $25 + 30 percent profit and sales tax. for our purposes, I will exclude sales tax.

10,000 sqft goes in to an acre about 4.35 times = $108.75 you then add your profit. 30 percent in my case. so... 108.75*.30 = $32.62. add that to your original price and and you get $141.37 plus whatever sales tax is in your area.

this is how I would charge in my area. the "going rate" in your area may be different.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge about $130. An acre really isn't that big...but walking around it with a trimmer takes time.

4. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

well ....its all depend what kind equipments you have to cut this yard and how much time it will take you ,,,,normal a big yard like that i charge a dollor a min and depend how much weedeater you have to do ,,,one hours weedeateing i normal charge $35 an hour or some poeple would charge $25 an hour if it more then three hours ,,,,.if you charge your first timer 130 buck and after you got it all clean ,,,tell them you will charge them $80 the next time so you can keep that customer ,,,,,

5. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Friend, remember that any obstacles and steep grades that need to be dealt with are all "degree-of-difficulty" issues which would also need to be additionally charged for.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

So was the 45 minutes for one or two people? If it was 2 people, your minutes would be 90, not 45.

7. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

TCLawn -

I like your formula.....but lets say you have a 10 acre lot instead of 1 acre. Using your formula it looks like you would be around $1,413.75 per mow. Is that correct or do you adjust your formula down once properties get above a certain point.

Currently I take sq footage time a base rate of .003. Using that 1 acre (43,560 ft) would run $130.68. That said I am bidding on some lots that are about 5 acres and I just think $653.40 per week to mow it sounds high.....although I'd love to get it!

8. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

That what he wanted a bid for an 1 acre ..i normal charge a min when i do 1 or 2 acres ..when i have more then 3 an over ..i normal charge by the hour and depend how much weedeater there to do ,,,i cut at a nursing home They have almost 7 acres and little weedeater in the front..i charge them $325 everytime i go ..i think that a fair price and it take me 4 hours to do the job .,.there so many ways Lawn service can charge and some time we charge too much and not enough....i always figures how long it should take me to do the job ,,hope it anwser your queston ,,,

9. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

One time visit = $125.00

Signs a contract = $80.00 / visit , which works out to about $265.00 / month

10. hockeygoalie

hockeygoalie LawnSite Member

Most of my cuts are an acre or so. I would agree with Gautreaux, 125/80 seems reasonable to me. I do use a 6' ZTR on that type of job. This is assuming a flat lot with minimal obstacles.