1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how much to charge for mulch job?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by herbdarrah, Jun 13, 2008.

1. herbdarrah

herbdarrah LawnSite Member

im doing a job that needs 7 yards of mulch. how much should i charge for the labor?
  2. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

double material cost. PLUS your hourly rate.
  3. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

How much are u guys getting for a yard? IE I just bought at the local lumber mill 1 truck load of mulch from chipped up pallets. No bark just wood. 3 scoops from a Bobcat to fill the bed of my truck. $15 a truck load. We do not do much landscaping jobs, however we are getting more and more request and I see a nitch there. I have heard the $30 a yard bounced around, but not sure. What would be fair yet just?
  4. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Ive gained a couple jobs at my price and ive lost a couple

I charge $36 more than what I pay. I wish we could get away with more.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Around Here, for Hardwood mulch, I charge 80 - 85 dollars a yard put in place. Most of the time I can throw 4 yards in less than 2 hours. I know some guys around here are using the cheap stuff and charging the same price, then I get to go in, clean it up and throw down good stuff.

If I get into a situation where it will take more than an hour for each yard, I charge for mulch, hauling, and labor.
  6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I get the mulch for 21$/yard and charge anywhere from 60-70/yard. So I usually have about $40/yard for labor. I dont even try to figure out how many yards can be done in an hour because every single mulch job varies by so many things. But on the low low end its been 1.5/yards an hour and gone up to 3.5 yards spread in just over an hour.
  7. LavendersBlue Landscapes

LavendersBlue Landscapes LawnSite Member

$75/yard plus delivery fee
  8. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

GOOD GOD! I am WAY to low on my prices if ya'll are charging this.

I pay $16 per yard. Personally, I can put roughly 2 yards out per hour. My hourly price is $30-40 depending on how hot it is outside when I am qouting the price.

$16 + $16 + $40 = $72 per hour

I guess I would charge about $80-85 per hour. Including materials.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I would LOVE to make more money. I have never heard of anyone qouting mulch jobs by the hour though.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Now I'm using high quality hardwood mulch, at 35- 39 dollars a yard to start with, so that's why I try to charge around 80- 85.

If you get mulch for a much cheaper price, then you might charge less. I hate the guys that use recycled brush material from our area and try to charge 80 a yard for it. It usually has garbage in it and they tell thier customers it's good stuff. That's when they call me and have it re-done.

I sometimes charge by the hour. I have one client with a very large perennial garden that requires extra time. I have to first use a small shovel and surgically remove old mulch around her plants without damaging them, and then slowly scoop in the new mulch. So obviously it takes more time.

My favorite jobs are the ones I can just drop and spread.
  10. JacksonLawns

JacksonLawns LawnSite Member

I am new to billing/bidding/quoting mulch jobs (I have done the work for someone else for several years just never dealt with the billing side). I have a couple of questions based on the responses above to the original post. If you say that you charge $80/yard and you calculate the job needs 10 yards do you quote 800 dollars and that just includes everything (material, labor, etc)? What about edging? Is that labor included? How do you calculate it?
    Does anyone ever quote material plus hourly rate (10 yards of mulch at $30 a yard = $300 then bill your hourly rate on the tail end after you know how many hours it took)?

Thanks for the info guys!