1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge for PowerWash

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LCME, Aug 20, 2004.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

OK I know this has nothing to do with Lawn service. But, I got to ask. A new customer wanted a trailer park home power washed. She also said, the last guy who PW charged $100. After accepting the job it took me 2 hours to completely clean it up good. She was impressed at the the detail of clean-up. And commented the last PW only sprayed for about 45 minutes and left. My question is should I honor the $100 or should I ask for more. My estimate is approx. $183. Based on either 0.10 per sq ft x 1830 sq ft. OR I could charge $45 per man hour with 2 person crew. I also used 1 gal of cleaner. Any opinions on how to charge for this type of work?.
  2. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

I under estimated several jobs starting out, I am still getting the hang of it. Your word is what you work by, if you start jacking up the prices after every job you might get a reputation for it. I just take jobs like this and chalk them up as experience and dont make the same mistake next time.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi LCME,

Did you quote a price before you started?
  4. LCME

I did not quote a price. Because I am new I thought I would easily do this job under an hour for $100. But, my mistake. So I called her today and told her I was billing her $100. She said, no way you did more than I ever expected. Great job. How much do you really want. I said, $100 is OK with me. She insisted to pay more. So, I said what about $180. No problem she said are you sure that's enough. I'm like in the twilight zone man. Customer is awesome. What is the correct business way to let the customer know you appreciate the complement and payment?.
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have stuck with the 100.00 and if the customer insisted then they can give Gratuity,How is it you came up with 180.00?
  6. LCME

OK you asked for it. I came up with 180 after I did the job. Based on this other guy worked for 45 min. for $100 and only PW the siding by himself. That would be approx. 0.074 per sq ft x 1830 = 135. But he only work for 45 min so that's approx 101. I figure my cost would be 0.10 per sq ft x 1830 = 183. or $45 per man hour 2 crew. $90 x 2hours=180. But again I'm new at this I'm experimenting with cost, labor, hours, sq ft. Not sure what is the best way to calculate. Do you have any suggestions on estimating PW siding?
  7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

LCME where in Michigan are you located?
  8. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Why are you letting the other guy dictate your price? $.10 per square foot or a dollar per running foot for a single story is a general rule of thumb for pressure washing. You were lucky with this customer. You really should have a contract wrote up "BEFORE" you do any work. Few customers are willing to pay more then the last guy.
  9. LCME

Yep. I agree with you there. I have begun to write estimates for customers to sign and agree to. I go over the costs with the customer. Am I doing this correctly?. Is there a difference between contract/estimate?. Is an estimate signed by the customer a contract is what I'm asking?. Can't seem to get the correct words out today.
  10. LCME

I'm located in the Oakland county. Why do you ask?