How much to charge for pruning?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by the ace, Mar 15, 2005.

1. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

I was wondering what the going hourly rate for pruning shrubs, plants and small trees is going for? My brothe-in-law who lives in southern ohio told me he charges 65.00 per hour, does this sound about right? I feel I should have a gun and a mask on when asking for that much!

2. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I couldnt get $65 per hour here. the going rate is between $35-40 per man hour, but the price varies greatly throughout the country. I find its better to quote by the job.... If you tell the customer my price is 40 per hour and the job should take 2 hours, the customer will say thats way to much and you most likly wont get the job, but on the other hand, you know the job will take 2 hours and your price is $80 quote the entire job at $100. The same customer will say that a great price "when can you begin". I quite charging by the hour last year, and have made much more payup

3. jimmyq

jimmyq LawnSite Member

I quote by the job. tell them it will cost $100 (or whatever) and it takes as long as it takes. I base my quote on $60 an hour and add disposal cost as an extra if they want the trimmings gone. If people insist on an hourly or daily rate I tell them $500 per 8 hour day, per person working. Normally it isnt too big a deal, the price is fair, the work is good and I am busy enough that I don't need to haggle much.