How Much To Charge for Turf Fertilization

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by djoherl, Feb 19, 2008.

1. djoherl

djoherl LawnSite Member

I 'm bidding on a commercial landscape maintenance job for a local department store. There is approximately 45,000 square feet of turf to fertilize. How much should I charge for turf fertililization for them? The next paragraph is what the customer is requesting.

"A quality turf fertilizer shall be applied three (3) times per season providing a
    total minimum of three (3) pounds actual nitrogen per 1,000 square foot of turf per season."

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Since they do not specify how much quality they want--inexpensive is what you want. How long will it take to complete the job? I assume it is broken up into small pieces--that takes a lot longer. Suppose it is 2 hours at $75 dollars an hour. plus cost of materials--say 4 bags at 22 each.

But you are leaving money on the table--try to explain the need for an additional application for weed control. Then try to get them to go for crabgrass control. And you want to save them from the potential disaster of a grub infestation--after all you have their best interests at heart and they would have to reseed if grubs killed the grass.

3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Definately reread the spec's.
    If they don't address weed, insect etc., you should state on your bid that they are not included.
    If you haven't already concidered these (cleanup, parked cars or having to apply when closed) you should figure them into your price.

4. pro-lm1

pro-lm1 LawnSite Member

No pre-m, no weed control? 3 fert apps at $125 each

5. pro-lm1

pro-lm1 LawnSite Member

Remember most commercial accounts have unrealistic expectations in comparison to what they want to pay. Make sure they understand it is FERT ONLY!!!

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot LawnSite Member
    from sapulpa

if you are getting 10,000 sq ft. out of a bag of fert it will take 4.5 bags @ 21.50 per bag my price here will cost $96.75 i charge $241.00 for same sq. ft. but 1 pound is all that is needed at 1 time

7. pro-lm1

pro-lm1 LawnSite Member

Where do you buy your product? I can get a lot more coverage (16,000 for about $13.00) thru Lesco.

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot LawnSite Member
    from sapulpa

thats what i was buying for last year 34-3-11-4 at lesco same stuff this year is $21.50 cant go up on my price becase no body else is so far small guys mite become thing of the past

9. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

I had my rep at Lesco send me a Tech Bulletin outlining the impending price increases on fertilizer which I in turn emailed to all of our accounts in January. It's a pretty good write-up and helps with increasing my fert prices. I've attached the document if anyone wants to use it.
    No one has baled at all and we added a 10% increase.
    View attachment LawnSharksFertilizer Cost Increase TechTip Customer Copy.pdf

10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Lawn Sharks. That's a good write up to have.