How much to charge for watering lawn?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bennyb311, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Bennyb311

Bennyb311 LawnSite Member

I have a customer wanting me to water a small yard. It takes me about 40 minutes to mow/trim/blow. How much should I charge? how long and how often should I water? Much thanks to any help!:usflag:

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you joking?

3. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

While the sprinker's running ask her if she wants anything else done, like dog grooming, car washing, cleaning the pool.

4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

When you get there to cut - turn the sprinkler on. Lawn gets a 40 minute watering and keeps you cool too - double your regular fee.

5. Bennyb311

Bennyb311 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the smart comments...We are are having a record breaking drought here...I am more than glad to take on extra jobs right now. But thanks for all the help.

6. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Do you really have time to do things like that!

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Charge her a weekly rate for a timer & setup.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'm sure he does, just like we all probably did when we first started out. His profile says first year in business.
    To answer your question, are you in that area in the early morning? That would be the best time to water. Water heavy, when we water our lawn we shoot for an inch of water. Problem is, how many times are you going to have to move the sprinklers?

I understand you being "hungry" for work, but honestly this really aint a good job. Hard to price, because you got to think, "will the customer even want to pay much for all the trouble that you'll be going thru." If it were us, even if we were in our first year, we'd pass on that job,and just teach the customer what kinds of sprinkler she will need, help her select a few spots in her lawn that when the sprinkler is turned on will give her the most coverage, and be done with it. then try to maybe upsell her on something else. maybe some bed edging, mulching, etc.

9. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I hear u bro. In Indiana it's terrible too! I missed all my normal jobs yesterday and I was already struggling so u know I'm praying! I'm fortunate enough to have gotten a couple hedge trimming jobs which will compensate quite a bit for the missed mowings.

I've asked the same question yesterday. I think the other guy is right; just charge them for a set up and show them how to do it and where to place/position the sprinkler/s.

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

We've done some lawn watering once new sod is layed for a new condo development. Our rate was $49/hr. It's work like anything else and you charge accordingly. Last time I checked, every service I buy, I have to pay for, so watering is no different. :dizzy: :dizzy:

I know of a condo that payed over 20k last year for watering new sod. That same condo just had us do about 40k of landscape work and about 1k of watering.

:)