How much to charge for weeding flower beds around house?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by charlesw, Jul 2, 2001.

1. charlesw

charlesw LawnSite Member

I was asked today from a lady with lots of contacts (works for the Chamber of Com.), if I am willing to weed flowerbeds. Of course I said yes. If I get the pricing right, I'll be able to get several jobs in the community.

How much should I charge when providing a quote. I was thinking about $8-$9 per sqr yard for removing weeds, depending on how bad it is,
    $4-$4.5 per sqr yard for applying mulch. Do these prices sound about right?

I would then offer maintaince for removing weeds every 2-3 weeks.
    $10-$15?

What do you think, am I in the wrong ball park, or playing the wrong game.

Thanks

2. hmmm. i dont know if i would do it by the square foot if i was you. lets say you have a big open garden 10 x 30 with only woody shrubs. how long will it take you to find and weed that garden? now lets say you have a garden that is 10 x 20 and is all full of wild flowers that are close together. how long will it take you to find all of the weeds in there, rip them out, and not crush any plants? reason i say this is because last week we weeded two homes right next to eachother. 1 of them took 2 guys about 3 - 4 hrs. then they went to the neighbor's house. weeded all the gardens but one in about 2 hrs. then we went back saturday and it took them 2 people 4 hrs to weed one garden about 15' at widest by 60' long. so its all about plant density, and what kinds of plants you have.

3. charlesw

charlesw LawnSite Member

Something like that I would have to charge by the hour ($25).

What I'm currently looking at is landscaping around the home. Maybe 3 feet out from the house, front and sides.

4. G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE

G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE LawnSite Member

We charge $ 35.00 per hour,For weed removal.

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Use cubic yards when doing mulch...remember there is depth involved with mulching.

6. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $35.00 per hour. But remember, it usally takes longer to pull weeds than you think. I usally add a little bit extra for good measure. Also remember to tell the customer that the price you quote is not good for a long period of time because weeds grow and acumulate. I ran into this once where I bid a job to weed out some beds on one week. And it was done 3 weeks later. Knowing that we were coming to weed, the customer did nothing, and man, the weeds were out of control!!! It took way longer than it bid for. live and learn.

7. charlesw

charlesw LawnSite Member

How do you estimate this by the yard, including depth?
    I don't want to over charge, but I don't want to undercharge to much.

8. Lawns & More

Lawns & More LawnSite Member
    from Texas

$35 an hour, for pulling weeds. I try to estimate the time to pull the weeds and the "always" add an extra 1-2 hours for Cushion .
    Never have too many customers complain about the price. How many of them would want to deal with the heat, snakes or poison ivy ??

9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I can't remember the author's name of "The well tended perennial garden", Janet... something. At any rate, I heard her at a seminar and she said that she esimates that a perennial garden takes about 10 man hours per 100 sq feet per season to maintain.

From this number I have tried to evaluate if this is accurate for perennial beds. Often ornamentals and annuals are mixed into the beds.

What I have found is that anywhere from 6 to 15 man hours per 100 sq feet of bed area per season is required for edging, weeding, deadheading, staking, watering, fertilizing. You might even through mulching into the equation.

Just as Lawnboy82 said, it depends on what's in the bed. We bill by the hour, but customers till ask for an estimate so they can budget cost. If the customer has 300 sq feet of bed, with mostly ornamentals, ground cover and a couple of perennials, I might figure about 25 to 30 man hours for year, or about $1,000 for maintenance. If you've got annuals and perennials in the majority of the beds, add more hours. If you use a preemergent, add material cost but your labor will decrease. Same with mulch.

I'd bill it by the hour.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I use this rule of thumb. Time is money and you are worth what you get for leaf blowing or mowing or edging. In other words, if you charge $50/hour for leaf blowing or mowing, then any job you do is worth $50 per hour of your time.
    I've been using this method for the pass years, and it works well. Look at it this way, if you can make $50/hour mowing, why do another job that pays you only $30/hour. Also, it gets ridiculous, to start a clean up job, which needs pruning, blowing, mowing edging, and weeding, and attempt to figure how long each job takes.
    Basically, I stand the door and say, I'll do anything you'd like, "it's a dollar a minute", or $60/hour.
    Pete