How much to charge per acre?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Jan 18, 2005.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

How much do you guys charge per acre? Or do you charge by hour or what?

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

50.00-135.00 big range ddepending on the type of acre.

3. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

50.00 - 90.00

Depends on

slope (Hills)
    Fenced areas
    obstacles
    Children (when I go to look at yard I look for toys, bikes, trampolines, Pets, etc.
    rough areas (Areas where I cant run the equipment at optimal speed)

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

$55 to $100

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

It also bepends on what type of mowers you will be using. A 36" wb will take you4-5 times longer that a 60" rider so if time is money charge how long it will take. Not a flat rate per acre.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

J&R
    the problem with that is you have to charge a competitive rate. If you do not have the tool to compete than stay smaller till you can.
    If you want the job and feel that you will get the right tools in a few months that might be ok but you will still have to compete with the people with the big stuff. YOU have to eat it till you get the right tool, not the customer.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You can't set mowing prices based on the equipment that you use. At least not here in Florida. I can mow 1 acre in 30-35 minutes with a 52" ztr and the most I can get for 1 acre is about $45. That's the going rate for 1 acre here. If I were to cut the same 1 acre lawn with a 36" WB it would take more than an hour, but I would't be able to charge any more. The customer doesn't care what equipment you use or how long it takes you to do the job. They only care about the price. It you don't price competitively in your market you won't be doing much lawn work.

8. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I can handle the job I have a exmark 20hp 52inch cut.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

charge based on your time. If you aren't competitive, you need to bet quicker.

Guys with 36" WB mowers should not be cutting acreage. They shouldn't even be bidding often. Someone with a ZTR of any size is way more efficient. Much less if they have a 60" or larger.

Prices vary based on many variables. My smallest lot I can cut with my weedeater if I want and I get $125 monthly. including trimming and weeding. So it is very difficult to say a flat rate. How long will it take and what do you want to make per hour.

That is the golden formula. Some work I just don't bid, I don't have the equipment to make it worth doing.