1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge to plant

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Decoste76, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Decoste76

Decoste76 LawnSite Member
    from MASS

How much would you charge to plant 6 hostas. Paid 11.99 for each of them. Also transplanted 6 lillys that where there to other locations. I was thinking about 40$ a hosta $240? and then not sure about the 6 other lillys didnt take long at all was about an hrs work if that and throw some mulch around them too.

2. Decoste76

from MASS

Anything? Come on now

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

$40 a hosta???? it would take me all of 25 minuts to plant 6 hostas. 100 bucks tops if it was me.

4. Decoste76

from MASS

ya it didnt even take me an hr.

5. Decoste76

from MASS

100 meaning for it all transplanting and planting all of them

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

thing you need to remember is the customers know how long it took you to do it all, if you hand them a bill for 240 bucks for less then an hours worth of planting they are going to think you are robbing them and will never call you again, not to mention they def wont pass your name around to their friends. sometimes its best to cut people a break and move on, it will only help you in the long run if they know you aren't gouging them.

how long did it take you total??

7. Decoste76

from MASS

ya im trying to find the best way to bill someone for plant installs. do i mark up the price and then just double it? ive done that before. So say i charge 20$ for a hosta bought and installed that would be $120. and then transplanting maybe like 10$ a plant so another 60 and than maybe like 40$ for the mulch so your looking at what 220$ to high on this or what?

8. Decoste76

from MASS

under an hr. So what would i charge 35$ to do it. Thats my hourly rate. I have to do it by the job.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I double the price of the plant, unless it's under $10, then I triple, for transplanting small plants, I either do it for free as part of the job, or charge minimally for it. You're looking $150 max for this, in my opinion.

And my hourly rate is whatever I can get away with...anywhere from $30 an hour on low-margin jobs to $80 or $100 an hour if I bid by-the-job.

10. Decoste76

from MASS

so 24.$ a plant 144$ then the transplants 10$ a plant? 60$ then mulch about $30 well say. so the grand total would be $234. that seem high?