how much to charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ring, ring....." hello, bobby boys lawn service." customer:" hi bob, it's mrs jones. next time u come, please remove the two dead andromeda in front of the house." i say, "why certainly, bye." ok, i swing by to do some scheduled bed work, a little mulch, plant food, and fert the lawn. i grab the chainsaw, start it, cut the dead shrubs mid way, throw the tops in the truck, rip out the remaining part + roots by hand, throw them in the truck. entire time doing that, perhaps 5 minutes. what do i charge?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

$20.00......

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would probably have to agree...$20. I want to say that I might do it free for a very valued client, but even then I am not sure.

4. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

for five minutes $20 is good.

5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

$70/hr for a 2 man crew, 1 hr mimimum. That's my policy and my price is my price, take it or leave it. We try to schedule little stuff so it goes along with other work but if it can't be done and it's a 5 min job, it's still $70.

6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 25.00 min. plus removal fee 25.00 =50.00

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

$25-$30 and I would give them the price on the spot. I do this because I see a job like that and I think "it looks like alot more than it really is and it would take them half a day to do it, but they don't have a chainsaw." "That'll only be $30".

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

$20 especially if I am already there for something......maybe a little more for a special trip out to do it....

Derek

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

$5,286,142.07 for removal, cart it off for free. or $20.00, whichever they are more likely to pay.

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

1/2 hour minimum charge which is $30. Plus another $30 for disposal which I get for free. If the customer was home watching and seen it only took 5 minutes and the fact you were there doing other work already. I would drop the minimum charge and bill it as straight time added to the time I was already there. This would put total charge at $35.

It all really depends on the quality of customer. This sounds like a good one. If I wasn't doing other work other then cutting then I would have looked at it and figured what it would most likely be worth to the customer. A customer probably would have looked at that job as taking at least an hour. If they seen me only spend 5 minutes and complain about price after. I tell them that chainsaws are dangerous and I don't start one cheaper then my emergency room copay :)