1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dunn's, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

How much does everyone charge if someone wants a one time cut. If its real long how much do you charge after a certain height or per inch any help would be appreciated.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It really depends but you have to walk it and stick your feet into it and think because different lawns grow different - some may be taller than others but while on one the grass is thin enough you can run over foot-long stalks at full speed, the next is so thick the mower chokes the entire time on 6 inches of growth.

This one just occured to me, you could take your mower to the site and run a test cut, just take a strip out thou this might not work in all instances.

Either way, once you figure out how bad it is, as a rule if it's going to take twice as long, then it costs double.
    More than calf-high and thick, at least double - same with grass up to the arse or even the knees. You shouldn't run into this yet but if it's up to your neck or nose or higher, double to triple.
    Another good rule of thumb is, if you think it's going to choke your mower most of the time you're there (by choking I mean sputter, cough, possibly cut off on you because it's so tall or thick or both) - double price.

If it's going to clump really, really bad and there is no way even if you run over it 4-6 times that it will get rid of the clumps, I usually present the customer with the choice:
    - Cut it and leave the clumps - double the price if it's that tall or thick or both.
    - Clean up the clumps, too: triple or maybe quadruple (it will be a LOT of work at this point, you'll need tarp and a rake).
  3. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

For 6 in. I charge 2.5 times regular price

If its to my knee then 5 times

this of course no bagging

My bagging charge is is always 1/3 extra of mowing price
  4. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

These are all good measures. Basically determine what your particular machine will handle. Also be take into account the the thickness as long sparse grass will cut much easier than thick long grass.