1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Much To Charge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rfarmsbig, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Rfarmsbig

Rfarmsbig LawnSite Member

This is one of my few yards I take care of weekly. Last year I charged $40 for mowing it once a week. I use a Lesco Z-Two 60" mower and also do the hedge trimming. Doing this usually takes about 1 hour by myself. As you can see there is not much to mow around, so it's not to time consuming. How much should I be charging or whats the going rate per acreage? Thanks Picture2.png

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There's really no telling. Only you know your expenses and what it costs you to mow that. I did take the liberty of looking it up myself so I coud do some measurements on it, though. Even after taking out the buildings and driveways, you are still looking at more than an acre. Here, that would be considered a bit low for that one stop. Our half acre lots around here are going for around 40. That property would probably be around 55-60 around here.
  3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i was going to say $55 - $65. its hard looking at that picture.

woot just noticed i hit the 500 mark :cool2:
  4. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Even though I am new to lawn maintenance aspect of the business. I can not see doing that yard for $40.00. If you are an independent guy, then you can make money that way. But if you are legit business owner. Nothing less than $75.00. And that seems cheap to me.
  5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It might be a tough sell going from $40 to $65. But if your losing money its not worth it. I would go for a big number and if they say no then walk.
  6. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I do work around central Ohio (Pickerington, Lancaster, Canal Winchester) I try to get a dollar a minute. So if it takes you an hour to do it then charge them $60. I have a couple houses that sit on two acres that I charge $65 for them because I can get everything done in less than an hour. To me it is not really about how much acreage there is but more on how long it is going to take to complete the job.
  7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

The price to maintain that property is going to vary considerably depending on what part of the Country you live. In some places that property would be done for $40 and in others it would get $60, $70, $80 or more.

Around my parts the average lot size is 1/4 to 1/3 acre and the average mow runs around $25-$35 and usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes of time. Since the larger lots are not common place around here we charge a lot to do them. Just by looking at your photo I would guess my estimate would be in the 85 dollar area.

In your photo I have marked out an area that around here we would be charging around $30-$35 to mow. There's no way I would consider doing that whole property for $40

Picture2 copy.jpg
  8. Rfarmsbig

Rfarmsbig LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, this will give me a good referance point for other yards.
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I would be charging at least $65 for basic mow, trim ,blow. The common mistake I see being made by alot of new people on this site is thinking because you have a 60" cut whatever you can mow for less money. You need to be making money on both labor and equipment. Say for instance you were mowing that yard with a 36" and it took you 2 hours to do if not more then you get the 60" and can do it in half the time so you think you should lower your rate because you can get done faster than before. Doing it that way is a good way to go out of business, just because you can get done faster doesn't mean you should be doing it for less just the opposite you get done faster so you can make more money and if you customer complains tell the it costs alot to have that equipment. You also need to start charging you customers an hourly equipment charge around $2.5-$5 hr depending on what kind of equipment your using. So if your using 2 Zs the charge would be $10hr for equipment and then whatever you charge for you labor.
  10. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that was a great picture and example to show others for prices and such. Great idea on putting that photo on and showing us. Thanks.It would be great if customers can e-mail us with photos like this and then give them a quote. That would be sweet.