how much to charge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brian B, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

i will be getting a contract for a new factory that is being built. it should be done within the month. there will be about 3 acres of straight line mowing and very little trimming. how much should i chargre this business per mowing?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

130 (@43.33 / acre), you can do 140 also, but I wouldn't go too much higher, and if you need work then do 120 but I would not recommend less... Depending on your machine, it will take 2-3 hours straight cutting, maybe less with a big Z but they cost more / hour, so.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say topsie is pretty close. Wide open mowing, and little trimming, 40-45/acre seems reasonable. I myself usually bid on the high end, so I'd probably be in the mid 140-150.00 range.

4. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

ok. that was close to what i was thinking. i was thinking about $100-$120. i will most likely give a bid somewhere between $110 and $120.

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

WOW...........It amazes how much prices differ from region to region.
    Around here we can get between 45-50 for a 1/2 acre. I have a commercial property that is right around 1-acre in size and they are charged $110 per week for just the mowing portion.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, he did say it was wide-open mowing with very little trimming. I'm saying for a property he described that is what I'd charge.

More obstacles, etc, more trees to trim around, sidewalks to edge, the price goes up.

7. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

45 an acre is fair...you can slide with 120 though. I wouldnt go any lower than that.

8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Gotcha, but read the next two quotes.

3 Hrs of mowing at $110 = $36 per hour.
    Now factor in the amount of gas you'll burn through mowing for 3 straight hours and all your other overhead expences and suddenly your in the hole.

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Around here big companies are charging $25 per acre. It all depends on the market and compeition, and around here I can eaisily count 200 landscapers if I start counting at 8am and stop at 5pm.

10. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

3 hours...are you using a 21" push mower?? Wide open area should take no longer than 2 hours. 2 hours of mowing at $120 =$60 per hour. Now thats more like it. I would still charge $135 though.