1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by okie2, Jan 9, 2008.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

I am a teacher and I talked to the superintendant about me mowing the grass this summer. He actually seemed interested. This is my first year and I am doing it part time. Its 30-35 acres mowing only. I have a 60" JD 757. Will I ever be able to do this and stay caught up? How much should I charge per acre?
  2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

This question is very tough to answer. Is it a single giant 35 acre field with no obstacles? Is it 35 1 acre patches in different areas with walks, buildings, beds, trees, ponds, hills, children, and other stuff?
  3. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

Its flat land. Very few trees. Mostly wide open. I am meeting with him tomorrow. What do you think?
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It could be done. That'll take probably 2 long days by yourself. I'm talking daylight to daybreak w/ that mower.
  5. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

So how much would you charge per acre?
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Something is missing here. Who is doing the mowing in the Spring and Fall. He wants you for the Summer, but that is only part of the year. Why would another contractor take the job for the early part of the season, and then be asked to return to take the last part of the season? Or, doesn't the grass grow much between June 1 and September 1? If that is the case, then it wouldn't be much work for you either, only cutting a couple of times.
  7. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

I am a teacher at this school. The maintenance people mow it now.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, THAT ought to go over well with the union!
  9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

If, I need to earn $400/day, and it takes me 2 days, I would charge $800.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That machine should reasonably do 12 acres / day at 8-9 hours straight mowing, I am sure you'll want to break for lunch some time? You can shoot for more, but you won't get much past 14, if you can do 1.5 an hour and work 10 hours solid you still only get 15 in, hence why I say 12 reasonably.

But it doesn't work without trimming, all lots include some sort of trimming, there's a tree or a fence or something, always...
    Hmmm, I'll get back to this...

Say it take you 3 days, $20 an acre x 35 = 700
    That's kinda low, you can try 25 but quote them 900 and see what they say.
    So go in between, 790, that might work.

Then if they say yes you wait until the day before you need to go do it, then splurge and get yourself a $300 trimmer, it would be a worthwhile investment I am almost sure there are some areas that could use it. If nothing else you only get to do it one time then your labor was free but at least you got a nice trimmer out of the deal.
    The reason I say wait until the day before is in case they cancel, if that happens you take the trimmer back, didn't need it.