How much to charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Family Man Lawn Care, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Family Man Lawn Care

Family Man Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a couple of customers with some dead spots in their lawn. They've asked me to replace it and I'm struggling with how much to charge. Mostly, they have another company fertilize and pest protect and excess chemicals have left certain spots dead. For one customer, I pulled up about a 4ft by 4ft section of St. Augustine and replaced it. The sod cost me under $7. I told her I'd bill her when I bill for monthly lawn service. It took me a total of 15 minutes to pull up the old and put down the new and about 30 - 45 minutes of driving time to go pick up the sod. If I'm looking at billings for hours and cost of supplies, I like to make at least $20 - $25 an hour so I would bill $27 - $32. Does this sound too high? Too low? I have more customers with the same problem and pass by houses all the time with dry/dead spots and it's really easy to fix. I'm just trying to get an idea what I should charge her so in the future I can just measure the area and spit out an estimate based on square footage for the next person that asks me for a quote. What do you guys think. Thanks in advance.
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

65.00-85.00 per 1000 sqft. to re-seed
  3. Family Man Lawn Care

Thanks J Hisch for the quick reply. Even at your high end of $85 per 1000 sf., that's $0.085 per sf. In my case, 4ft by 4 ft or 16 sf, that comes out to $1.36. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Is re-seeding the same as re-sodding? I'm only asking because I'm not sure. The St. Augustine is sold by the piece or pallet. Each piece measures 18 inches by 24 inches an cost a little more than $1 a piece. For this job, I needed 6 pieces. A pallet of the sod cost $125 - $135 an only does 500 sf. Because of that, I don't think we are talking about the same thing because you're charge $65 to $85 per 1000 sf. My cost for the sod alone would be $250 - $270 per 1000 sf. We're probably talking about laying sod vs. throwing down seed.
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

you should check with the sod company ,what thay charge? most have a minimum to do small patch work . i for one would charge $14.00 for grass and min $35.00 hr labor wesley chapel has the money that area is booming

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

As small as that is I still would go $50-60 for the job. I don't know FLA but by me that would be cheap.
    Are you now responsible for the grass. True Kill ( or someone like them)did it once, they will do it again.
  6. Family Man Lawn Care

It's funny because I was just reading another post about TruBrown and ChemBurn and my customers have Tru Green. It looks as though they just spilled a massive amount of what ever they were using. My customers want me to take care of the fertilization as well as maintaining but I don't have a license for that and I DO NOT do work that I am not licensed to do.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Good for you. Can you team up with an independent guy who will take more care?
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I replace small areas (100 sf or less) of St. Augustine on occasion for my customers. I usually charge an hourly rate plus the cost of materials. For a small area like the one you did I would charge 1-2 hours of labor and delivery time plus sod costs. Total would probably be $80-$100. Sod companies here in Florida usually have a $150 dollar minimum for a small area.