How much to expect?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FinerCutslawnCare, Apr 14, 2006.

1. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I just ran around and passed out 200 flyers 2 days ago....haven't got any calls! I was wondering how fast people normally get back to you on flyers and how many replies should i expect?thanks:waving:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You want the truth?

You need to put out a minimum of 2,000 to 4,000 flyers, really 8 thousand wouldn't hurt at all and if you want a TON of business, start thinking in the lower 5-digit ranges (10k, 12k, even 20k is not totally unheard of).

As far as numbers, I used to get 3-4 calls per thousand and this can vary but not by too much. So, 200 and no calls sounds like you're in the ballpark.

So basically pass out flyers until you know why some of us can't do it anymore lol.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you get 1 call you should be lucky! Not to sound harsh but the return rate is like 1-2% per thousand. Good luck!

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends. When I first started passed out 100 of the 500 I bought and got probabley 12. Depends on the maket you are going after. For the start found the middle class much more receptive than the high class accounts.

5. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I focus primarily on houses with boats, jet ski, campers, and other signs of recreational interest as well as areas with retirees. Out of 150 flyers, I've nailed 5 accounts.

6. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I put out around 3-4000 and probably got 20 calls off that. Just keeping putting them out and you will get some calls.

7. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

I put out 500 flyers and the next day I get between 10-20 new customers wanting me to cut the grass NOW, o yea, and they go ahead and pay which is cool, and then I sign them up for regular services

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Get doorknob hangers I handed out around 1100 and got 32 accounts and more are still coming every day

9. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

You should also try banging down some doors to talk to people. Try and sell yourself a little bit more.

Another thought would be....depending on when you put the flyers out could make a difference. If someone gets a flyer on a tuesday night there probably less likely to look at it as if they got sat or sunday morning while there sitting down with the paper.

10. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

That's some pretty good business there! Where did you get them printed up and how much did they all cost?

I'm gonna get a couple neighborhood kids together one day, drop one or two off in each neighborhood and let them put up door hangers..