1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much to mow THIS jungle? County Lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, May 22, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Last time I cleared this was May of last year, then I guess the county decided they didn't want to bother with it anymore. Now the local homeowners are MAD. Its too long for my WB, I'll need to bush hog the mess. The tree/bush growth is staying, the bid is strictly mow and go. This area is NOT classified as wetlands. It just rained. The entire area you see covered in water is actually grass, and the water will be gone within 2 days. This is only a 1 time job. What would YOU charge? About how long would it take? Keep in mind, its a county bid, not a homeowner bid. I have my figures in mind, but I'm curious as to what some of you think. Bush hog rental and transport fee will be added to the final figures.

2. Eddie B

from gone

the other 3 pics.................

The parts already mowed were mowed from the homeowners.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i would think about $95-110. usually if we have to mow something really tall or thats been neglected we try to get double what it would cost to mow it every week. we have a brush hog, but id just cut it with a rider. looks kinda thin, the mower should handle it. i dont know what you have for machines though.

4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

$315.00 Includes rental and pita surcharge. Take it or leave it. :angel:

A chance I would lose it to someone who owns a bush hog and seeks out these jobs.

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a lot of this jungle clearing stuff, over here I get $220 for those jobs going by the pics...pics often don't show the real size but at a guess anyway.
    I'm guessing 1 acre of land to clean up?

No need for a tractor, a 60'' ztr will eat through that easy, this work is easier than you think on a z, and isn't hard on machinery either, grass is long and stringy/stalky, not like heavy damp bermuda!

I would allow 1.5 hours max, double cut, 60'' ztr....if county wants it cheaper, get a tractor in there and make a big mess...want it done right, or want it done cheap n nasty?

No point working cheap on ferral jobs....imo.

6. Eddie B

from gone

Its a little over 3/4 acre, really thick in places. The thickest areas are covered in water now, but this area usually dries out pretty quick. Last year it took 4 passes with a 48" bobcat WB, 17 hp, and would even bog down the mower in 1st gear on the 1st pass. It wasn't as tall, either. Renting a bush hog should save me a decent bit of time, I don't run ZTR's.

7. Tonyr

ok....

kinda all depends on how badly you want the job as to how high your bid is....3/4 acre remembering it is rough and neglected, my lowest would be $180, and that is if I really, really wanted it.....myself, I'd still go in at $220, if ya get it great, if not....tough....ya can't do this stuff cheap, no point.

Heck, if your market allows you may get a lot more!

I'm only saying about here, my main opposition is tractors....when they are busy I go in higher with one time jobs.

8. Tonyr

ok...

I'd consider just subbying it out then, get it done fast by a tractor, and if need be come in after and tidy up if required, then charge county what contractor charged you plus 30%, this works for me when I can't do the work myself.

obviously get a quote 1st, allow a bit, then add your cut, then submit this to county.

9. Eddie B

from gone

This lot makes too much money to consider subbing out IMO

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Rent a field/brush mower and take the damage waiver insurance on the rental. No less than $200 plus the cost of the rental.

No way I would use my ZTR or WB on a job like that.