1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much to mow this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Here's another how much to charge for this threads. The reason I'm posting it is that although I make a decent wage on this job, I think they're getting too good of a deal.

I don't know what I was thinking when I bid it, other than I needed more work badly, but I let the owner talk me down by $10 and now regret it. Even at $10 more than my bid I think I'd still be low.

I usually measure all my sizeable properties but honestly don't know how big it is. I'm guessing 2 acres.

Here's the particulars -

Mow every 10 days or so, 7 is o.k. with them during heavy growth. I don't like to see it go to 2 weeks because I mulch this time of year. I mowed today at 13 days and it wasn't too bad.

Quick trim around the barn and house, the driveway/parking area, mailbox, near road, a couple rocks and a 20 x 6 wet spot. I don't trim the edges at all and and the signs (it's an antique shop), bird boxes or trees.

Blow all hard surfaces.

Don't get picky, tire tracks, burn outs and ruts in wet areas are o.k. I've put down some good ones!

There are a few wet areas...there's a steam right behind me in the second photo. I get the tire treads clogged and the machine a little muddy every time.

Access is good and you drive by it at least a couple of times a week.

Here's the questions:

Would you even do it?

How much to charge?

How long would it take to mow and what would you use?

Time to trim & blow.

I use my 52 Lazer Z HP.

I will (eventually) tell you how much I charge and how long it takes.

Here's looking from the road diagonally to the back (wettest) corner. Keep in mind that I couldn't fit the whole property in the photo and don't wan't to post too many photos.

farm 001reduced.jpg
  2. Darryl G

Here's a photo with me standing in the back corner looking toward the road and where I took the first photo. Note - The right side goes straight up to the road, more or less anyway.

farm 002reduced.jpg
  3. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

i would say about $100
  4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

120 bucks. 1.5 hrs total. Looks like alot of trim work to me? Lot of time walking to do the trim
  5. Darryl G

Couple more things...other than a couple of rough spots, it's pretty smooth. The only slope is up by the road and on the sides of the detached shed, which I'm not sure is even in the photo...all can be done with a Z rider.
  6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i would be useing a 54 z
  7. Darryl G

Man, you guys are fast in replying!

And so far my thoghts that I'm too low are confirmed.
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like it may be just a hair over 2 acres. Going rate around here is $60-$75/acre depending on the trimming and blowing. If I really needed the work I would bid $120, but would have submitted a first offer of $135 just to make him feel he was getting a bargan when I came down to $120.
  9. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

$60-$80 guessing
    without walking the yard
    i try to get $25 just to show up
    very basic yard then up from there
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I can't tell the size just from the pic, but if it's really two acres minimal trim and some blowing, I'd do it for MAYBE $85, using my 52" eXmark TTHP & Proslide figuring about 1 1/2- 1 3/4 hrs. @ $50 each.