1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much to pay a part time employee?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartmas, Mar 7, 2005.

1. hartmas

hartmas LawnSite Member

I am getting big enough that I need a part time employee to help me with my mowing. How much should I pay them? I can't offer any benefits, just money. Do you think I could get someone reliable? Thanks.
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

depends on the quality of the worker. I have a guy I use sometimes, I pay him $10 an hour, but he's good. I've seen some guys i'd pay to get the hell away from my equipment.
  3. hartmas

hartmas LawnSite Member

thanks! I appreciate the suggestion.
  4. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

If you are looking for just part time help, why not pick up a mexican on the corner and pay him in cash? j/k :p
  5. metiernan

metiernan LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I wish I could find a mexican to help me but if you hire one it seems like you might as well hire ten more. When I started last year with my first employee, he was a freshman in college and I started paying him $8 an hour. He did alright last year and this year I will pay him $9 an hour. He is happy considering he works at McDonalds for $7 an hour and I have an Exmark for him to drive.
  6. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay 10 per hour for all of my guys that don't have CDL and or can operate the truck. This way I get reliable people and it forces me to be a little more picky. You get what you pay for IMO.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hourly pay is going to change from region to region. Here in the Northeast, I would think $10 an hour would be minimum.
  8. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

$10 here would be a good amount if they know what they are doing