How much to pay employee?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnSharkMowing, Jul 8, 2008.

1. LawnSharkMowing

LawnSharkMowing LawnSite Member

How do you figure out how much to pay an employee to mow residential yards. I thinking about paying him per lawn so say I charge the client $70 per month what should I pay my employee? I was thinking I would keep $50.00 and pay him $20.00 each month cutting once a week...does this sound about right? Thanks!!

2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope Sounds illegal. Also sounds like you aren't charging enough to hire employee's

3. Integrity LC

Integrity LC LawnSite Member

First off, you have one lawn that your charging $70 a month for? Does that sound worth it? Obviously you are not licsenced or insured. And what makes you incapable of cutting by yourself once a week?

You should re thing your business plan or give us some more details on your business so we can answer the question correctly.

4. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

Welcome to Florida rates. For yearly/weekly in my area rates are $75 to $100 per month. We have smaller properties than up north.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I would just go fishing before I showed up at someones house for $18.

6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys can keep telling yourself that to make yourselves feel better. But your lots are pretty much the same as most areas of the country. Everytime one of you says the dimensions to one of your lots it is 8k-9k. Pretty normal for everyone who doesn't live in the country.

7. DaveinSWFL

Bottom line is that's the going rate for the area. That goesn't mean we are happy about it. Whats the other option we have? The economy sucks here so theres not alot of options.

8. chuck simpkins

chuck simpkins LawnSite Member

i too live and operate in florida and started charging on average 25 dollars per month more than my immediate competitors without a problem.be sure to do everything you can to set yourself apart from your competition through education and service not pricing. as for how much you pay an employee there are plenty of websites including careerbuilder.com that have wage scales for our area to help you be fair yet competitive in your market area.if by some strange chance you have a champion employee that is top notch then perhaps you give that person an above average wage but let them know you're doing so,this lets them know that their efforts are appreciated and that "the grass may not be so gr$$n on the other side":)

9. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

Damn i wouldnt even do it if the market is that bad. You must have to get like 300 customers to pull a decent profit

10. DaveinSWFL

I don't know to many places that pay between $250-$300 a day. That is typically what I clear each day. I work a 6 day work week. I am sure that doesn't amount to much to some folks but I am living comfortably.